how to format DVR expander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to format DVR expander

I just got off the phone with WD because I suspect my external dvr expander is failing. Before they will issue me an RMA though they suggested I format the HDD and try again. They said to do that I should boot down the tivo, plug my expander into the wall, plug in the esata cable and boot the tivo up. Then he said the tivo should give me an option to reformat it and that should fix the problem.

Does this make sense to anyone? I dont recall seeing a format option the first time I set this up.

If you power on your TiVo without the Expander, you will be given the option to run without the external. If you then power the TiVo back on with the expander, it will reformat it (in a way). I would not hold your breath; this is not likely to solve your problem.

Comment

I dont think its going to work either but they are saying I need to do before they can issue me an RMA. So I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

Comment

I've had my WD external expanded fail as well. [kickstart 54 says 2nd drive failure]. The drive is only 1 year and 2 months. Great! I too am wondering if a reformat will fix it? BTW: it took me sometime before I searched and found the "kickstart" feature and tested the drives. Any joy?

Comment

Nope - if it failed, you shouldn't try to reuse it. If it has errors once, it'll get them again.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X