Resolution of problem using 2 drives with SATA to IDE adatpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution of problem using 2 drives with SATA to IDE adatpers

I was having serious difficulties upgrading two DirecTV TIVOs, an R10 and an HR10-250, with two 1TB drives using the SATA to IDE adapters from Weaknees, similar to the problem described in the tail end of this thread from last June: http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2785

Short story was that both drives would have both red and green lights on the adapters steady at power on, and stayed that way with only a brief flicker at the failed attempt to boot. Reseating and changing cables, and using a different set of the adapters, had no effect.

Running the wdidle utility with the /d option on both drives using the SATA interface seems to have fixed the problem, so far on just the HR10-250. The utility version I used can be downloaded here: http://home.arcor.de/ghostadmin/wdidle3_1_00.zip

The drives involved are two new Western Digital WD10EVDS with 03 Feb 2010 manufacture dates.

I'm about to start on the R10 and see if the fix works on that one too. The only thing I'm still concerned with on the HR10-250 is that the available space, rather than showing 2380 hours, is showing only 1 hour. Recording seems to be working normally in spite of this.

There was, by the way, no problem using the adapters while setting up the drives using an IDE interface on my PC. The problem only showed up once the drives were connected to the TIVO.

Right - that one model of drive, in early builds, seems to have a value of 8000 for the idle value, and disabling the feature fixes the problem.

As far as the 1 hour, older OS versions do show that, but I think that 6.4a fixes that problem. Either way, it's only cosmetic.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation that this isn't my imagination, I was still doubting that an obscure setting like that would cause it to fail to even start to reboot and that maybe I'd done something to fix it without noticing.

As for the "1 hour" indication, the OS version is 6.4a-01-2-357 which afaik is the latest version; as long as it's known to be just cosmetic and won't cause problems, I won't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
      X