Help...stuck in GSOD loop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...stuck in GSOD loop!

I have a Tivo HD with a 1GB Tivo SATA external drive. It suddenly started to reboot several times in the same night (the last time I had the problem divorcing the external drive and marrying it again solved the problem). As I was troubleshooting things this time, I ran the MFS check and cleanup routines using the Jumpstart codes, and now I'm stuck in a GSOD loop. Before I ran the MFS routines, Tivo would always boot up, but then just reboot while I was using it. When I unplug the external drive, I get the message about confirming I want to divorce it, but then I get stuck in a loop there as well...it acts like it's divorcing the drive but then reboots and the cycle repeats.

I have read this and many other sources out there and I have not found a specific fix for this problem. I've never used the PC-based tools before, but most of them seem to be about backing up recordings and moving to larger drives, etc.

I am happy with the recording capacity and OK even losing my recordings if I can just get the Tivo back up and running. I don't think the drives are bad...I think the rebooting was due to the drives almost being full (the Tivo is usually very stable but seems to have reboot problems only when a lot of HD recordings are piling up...) I think the GSOD loop is based on the RAM limitations in the kernel based on what I've read, but I'm at a loss of where to start with the PC-based MFS tools, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the specific procedures to just test, fix, wipe, reformat, or do anything else to my existing drives or Tivo to get it running again? Is there some way to get it out of this loop? Thanks in advance.

Olivier

I think you need a new internal drive. See:

http://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php

Comment

Thanks...that will probably be my last resort. Is there a way to "reformat" my existing drives so they have the OS, etc.? I think I can use the WinMFS tools to clean them, but I'm not sure where to get an image, etc. of the right OS...

Comment

Not really - if the image on the drives is bad, reapplying it won't help matters.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X