Premiere w/Tuning Adapter stuck on Acquiring Channel Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere w/Tuning Adapter stuck on Acquiring Channel Info

I had a Premiere from you guys whose hard drive(s) died. The thing was, the Tuning Adapter worked.

I received a replacement, and it's been working fine. However, as luck would have it, when I connect the Tuning Adapter, it remains stuck on "Acquiring Channel Information." Using the Tuning Adapter in every other TiVo, including the Premiere that initially broke down. I tried different Tuning Adapters, different CableCards, different USB cables, different RF cables, and the Premiere never goes past the "Acquiring" screen. Anybody there have any similar experience?

We haven't seen that.

You wrote:

Using the Tuning Adapter in every other TiVo, including the Premiere that initially broke down.
    What does that mean? You need one on every TiVo? Or it works on other TiVos?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      We haven't seen that.

You wrote:
      Using the Tuning Adapter in every other TiVo, including the Premiere that initially broke down.

What does that mean? You need one on every TiVo? Or it works on other TiVos?
      No, when I take the tuning adapter and plug it into any other TiVo (HD), the Acquiring Channel Info screen lasts, oh, maybe one to two minutes before the tuner kicks in. Heck, before my previous TiVo Premiere went kablooee, the tuning adapter had no problem either. It's just this replacement TiVo Premiere that once the tuning adapter is plugged in, gets stuck at the Acquiring Channel Info screen.

Comment

Huh. Have you tried a "clear and delete guide data"?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          Huh. Have you tried a "clear and delete guide data"?
          Thanks for the idea; I just tried that, but the tuning adapter still doesn't work. If that weren't enough, I have a bigger problem now: The Premiere restarts after transfers to it are completed--the same problem that afflicted the first Premiere I had! (which I exchanged for this one). Here's the original thread:

http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3907

To review: My first Premiere began restarting after transfers to it were finished. Everything would go well--I could even watch the transferring program on the Premiere while it was transferring--until whatever bow the Premiere had to tie at the end of the transfer took place. Then the Premiere would freeze and spontaneously reboot.

But not only would it restart, but it would restart into a Green Screen, take about 10-15 minutes to do whatever it had to do, then restart back into TiVo Central like nothing happened--except no sign of the transfer. The recording history under the To Do List would say the transfer failed because of an "internal error."

What happened next was a nightmare: I was told by TiVo to unplug and replug the unit, in essence performing a hard restart. That ended up forcing the Premiere into an endless loop of restarting --> Green Screen --> restarting --> Green Screen, with no detour into TiVo Central. That's when I returned the unit to you guys, whereupon you deemed the hard drive DOA and replaced me with a new set of drives.

Now we're up to the current scenario: A Premiere that doesn't go past "Acquiring Channel Info" when connected to a tuning adapter, but one that actually let me transfer a couple of programs from other TiVos successfully. Except now it doesn't even let me do that: A couple of transfers have resulted in the Restart --> Green Screen --> TiVo Central dance, and my heart sank. I dread trying anything like unplugging the unit and turning it into a doorstop like last time, and yet I don't know why this keeps happening. (At least the first one recognized the tuning adapter.)

I can't even risk sending this back to you, because that would involve unplugging it, and at least it's recording all right ... for now. TiVo is apparently looking at both issues now, trying to figure out from logs what may be going on. I can't imagine if you have any more theories on what's happening here? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Say, I just had a thought: Could this be a hardware issue? Could there be something about this particular TiVo box that renders it unstable doing Multi-Room Viewing Transfers? Would you be able to transfer the data from this TiVo Premiere to another hardware box, and might that solve the (twice now) restarting-after-transferring issue? And maybe the Tuning Adapter issue as well?
            Last edited by TishTash; 06-14-2010, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but due to it coming up high in Google's search results and based on going through a multi-day 4-5+ hour episode with my cable company, I thought I'd post an update here to help others avoid the hell I had to go through to get my TiVo working.

Once I got an incredibly competent manager on the line who knew what she was talking about (Rachael @ RCN), she explained that the most important screen to look at for TiVo cable card users is the "Conditional Access" screen under TiVo's settings >> Cable Card menu. You MUST see Con = Yes (not a no), Val = V (not a ? mark) and an Auth = S (there are some other values after that as well). If you do not have these values, the way that that cable company (headend) has sent the signal down to the box is the issue. She had to send signals at two separate times and those signals pulled up the card pairing screen on my TV.

This assumes that the correct Host ID, Data, etc. #s are properly filled out, which all 27 of the cable company employees asked me to repeat to confirm. And don't waste your time pulling the cable card in and out, resetting your TiVo box back to factory default...I did all of those. 99 times out of 100 she told me that it is not the cable card or TiVo box that is bad, but the pairing signal that was sent.

Give this link to any cable company (headend) who does not seem to know what they are doing: Google: support.tivo a_id/2569

Better yet, demand a manager who has experience with cable cards...that's the only thing that solved this problem for me. Good luck.

Jack

Comment

Working...
              X