Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Series3 Model TCD652160 Won't Start - Green Light and fan are on

G'day,

Apologies if this has been posted before - I've spent the last half hour or so searching and browsing and haven't seen the exact symptoms I'm seeing.

The kids were watching a DVD (separate input to the TV) and when we switched back to Tivo after they'd finished, the screen was a light grey colour. The green light was on on the Tivo, the amber light came on when we pressed buttons on the remote (but nothing happened) and the Hybrid and 480p signs were lit up too.

This has happened (rarely) a couple of times in the past, so I restarted the Tivo, which usually fixes things. This time however the box refused to start. Although the green light came on on the Tivo and the fan was operating (warm air blowing out the back), the TV stayed completely blank (no Welcome message or any sign of output signal from the Tivo). I restarted a couple more times, but each time the result was the same. I also tried hitting buttons on the remote, but that didn't accomplish anything - not even the amber light came on.

Any ideas?

It looks like the most probable issues are (in order of likelihood):
    1. Hard drive
    2. Power supply
    3. Motherboard

But I'm at a loss as to how to triage further and figure out which is the most likely explanation.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide,
    Peter

So do you get any video out of the composite (yellow) video output? If you get nothing there also, then I'd say a power supply is the most likely culprit, and I'd try that first.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

To follow up on my own question, it appears the Tivo is (mostly) operating normally. I left it on for a while this morning (with the same symptoms described above) and after a few minutes Tivo Central suddenly appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

So what I suspect was happening was that the Welcome / Powering Up screens weren't displaying during the (lengthy) boot up, but the box was actually starting normally and I simply wasn't giving it enough time.

I've now restarted it again, and this time the Welcome / Powering Up screens did appear, so presumably it was some kind of one-off glitch.

Lessons learnt:
      • The green light + fan + unresponsive remote behaviour is normal during startup - if this happens there's no need for concern, at least right away (even if you don't see anything on-screen).
      • It's worth giving Tivo at least 10 minutes to fully start, before giving up on it.

Cheers,
      Peter

Comment

Thanks Michael. Yeah Tivo support suspect an HDMI issue, either in the TV (unlikely - we saw the same symptoms on other HDMI ports, and other HDMI devices weren't having issues) or (more likely) in the Tivo itself. For now everything's back to normal, but the box is now on my "suspect devices" list.

Cheers,
        Peter

Comment

Working...
        X