TiVo S3 vs. cable box picture quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo S3 vs. cable box picture quality

I recently had weaKnees upgarde my TiVo S3 box and while it was out for the upgrade I installed my Comcast cable box (no DVR) in it's place and immediately noticed that the picture qualilty was noticeably better with the cable box. Same cable connections etc. Since I thought everything is more or less digital I was very suprised to see such a difference in the picture. Is this normal or is something wrong with my TiVo?

If you are using HDMI, there should be no difference.

Comment

I used the same HDMI cable and I too thought the image qulaity between the two boxes would be the same but there is a noticeable difference. The cable box is clearly a better picture. I don't beleive the picture quality is at all related to the S3 hard drive change. Do you have any suggestions for improving the quality of my S3 picture?

Comment

Could the S3 be set to a different resolution output? Have you tried pressing the Format button on the front of the TiVo to cycle through the options?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for trying to help. The output setting has not changed and is set for 1080i. As mentioned earlier, the Comcast non-DVR box produces a noticably better picture than my TiVo S3 when connected to the systme with all the same cables and settings as the S3...all I did was switch devices. Could it be the video board in the TiVo?

Comment

Could be - but considering they're both just relaying a digital signal sent by the cable company with no change, I doubt it. I don't really know that there is a video board in the old way of thinking - there's no digital to analog converter or vice versa if it's HD.

Comment

I understand what you mean about the "video board." I never thought of that. Something is going on. I am going to carefully run another comparison test this weekend before looking in to the matter furhter. Thanks again for your comments.

Comment

At the very least, try swapping cables and inputs to see if that matters at all.

Comment

Working...
                X