Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO HD Rebooting - Could be MB?

TIVO HD (652160)

Have seen more than one reboot issue searching this forum, but I am fairly certain it is not the hard drive. Troubleshooting makes me believe MB, but maybe not.

Couple months ago hard drive made some pretty bad noises and constantly rebooted.

Got a new 160GB drive (WD BLUE) I had laying around for emergencies and with the help of some 3rd party tools copied old drive and installed. Ran fine for a couple months. Kids think I'm a genius!

Last week, rebooting returns, in both playback and live tv mode.

So I did the following.

Ran kickstart 54 ( All Passed)
    Ran kickstart 57 (No issues I could tell. Ran in half the estimated time and when I checked it in three hours it was done. did not report any issues)

Continues to reboot.

So I ....

1-Unplugged ethernet and coax.

2-Selected a show from Now Playing list and played it with all cables unplugged. Played like three episodes of Law and Order my kid had recorded with no problems.

3 - Plugged in ethernet ONLY and tried test connecting to network. Seemed to do that fine.

4 - Tried to stream Netflix ( coax still unplugged). Connected...played maybe 3 mins of stream...reboot!

5- Unplugged ethernet and plugged in coax. Reacquired channel. Rebooted live tv after just a couple mins.

Just sounds like a motherboard issue. Guess I am wondering could it be the cable card? I have not removed it in any troubleshooting step. Since there seems to be ethernet issues also seems logical to assume motherboard. Just don't know if cable card is involved when you use network

It's possible I fritzed something in earlier hard drive replace, but I been building computers for like 20 years and I am pretty careful about that. Could happen though.

Ready to throw in the towel and scrap it

Any thoughts?

Mike

I really, really think that's more likely to be a drive issue still. Was the drive you used an AV/DVR drive?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you for the reply

Have to say no...not an AV drive.

In the original drive replace I used a Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS or something very similar. Standard HD, but I did wonder if that would make a difference. Seemed that the difference had more to do with the quietness of the drive than anything else. But again, i could be wrong.

i think I was ready to dismiss the hard drive as a cause because 1) it was new, and 2) because it read and played anything already recorded without a hitch.

I think you're tellling me it is possible recording or watching live would cause a reboot, when playback would not. You would know better than me on that

Not even sure if I would replace the drive at this point, but the tech in me wants to know WHY!

What I havent done is crack the case and see if any of the inputs (coax or ethernet) are loose. i also wanted to see if it would reboot using network only with a wireless adapter....but then I have to rerun guided setup I suspect

Have to weigh the options...and yes, I am spending waaay to much time on this

Comment

AV drives are very different from desktop drives. They handle error correction differently; they run cooler; etc.

I'm not saying the drive is the cause, but not using an AV drive is not the best idea.

You might try running without the cablecards to see if anything changes.

Comment

Working...
        X