Tivo Bolt+ External Hard Drive Makes a 'Chirping' Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Bolt+ External Hard Drive Makes a 'Chirping' Noise

I have a Tivo Bolt+ in which the internal hard drive recently failed. Weaknees replaced the internal 3TB hard drive with a 3.5 inch 6TB external hard drive and transferred all of my programs from the old failed drive onto the new drive. Now that it's up and running fine, I have noticed that the external drive occasionally makes a 'chirping' sound, which is disturbing and not normal. I have never heard such a sound from ANY hard drive like this before. I want to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong. I believe the drive is defective, even though all my programs are available on the Tivo Bolt+ and it works fine. It's just this loud noise, which happens about every 10 seconds or so and does not seem to be related to the normal head-seeking sound (which is also audible, but not obnoxious). I have a video of the external drive which includes the audio of the chirping noise, but apparently I cannot attach it here.

Could it be the fan in the external case? I can't say I've heard a drive make that noise either.

If you want to email us the video we can take a look: [email protected]
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Degan View Post
      I have a Tivo Bolt+ in which the internal hard drive recently failed. Weaknees replaced the internal 3TB hard drive with a 3.5 inch 6TB external hard drive and transferred all of my programs from the old failed drive onto the new drive. Now that it's up and running fine, I have noticed that the external drive occasionally makes a 'chirping' sound, which is disturbing and not normal. I have never heard such a sound from ANY hard drive like this before. I want to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong. I believe the drive is defective, even though all my programs are available on the Tivo Bolt+ and it works fine. It's just this loud noise, which happens about every 10 seconds or so and does not seem to be related to the normal head-seeking sound (which is also audible, but not obnoxious). I have a video of the external drive which includes the audio of the chirping noise, but apparently I cannot attach it here.
      Hello,

I just purchased a TiVo Bolt 6 tuner with 1TB internal and a second one with a 14TB external hard drive. When they arrive, I'll listen to hear what noise the external drive makes, if any.

As for the standalone one, it will be in my Son's bedroom. I'll hear from him, if it makes an excessive noise.

Thank you for letting us know.

Comment

Working...
      X