Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS question

Hello,

I just got my shipping notice and it included (beside a link to the forums) a link about my buying an UPS for the TiVo units I purchased. I noticed two things about the UPS webpage.

1) It recommends a discontinued APC UPS. There is a new recommended one by Amazon, but is it good for a TiVo unit? It is 425 VA instead of 325 VA, but there are other issues in decisions about UPS (e.g. sine waves, etc).

2) I purchased a second TiVo with a 14GB hard drive (different room). The UPS Weakness web page doesn't discuss sizing a UPS for an external hard drive. What is appropriate size for a TiVo and a 14TB drive?

Thank you.

1 - We need to update that page! Yes - the 425 VA should be fine. Sure, ideally you'd get a sine wave UPS, but those cost a bit more and I'm not sure I can say that the extra protection will really help with a TiVo. For backup hard drives for sensitive data, yes, get a sine wave model. For a TiVo? I think a basic UPS is enough personally.

2 - The 425 VA should be fine here too. Since there is no internal drive on that TiVo, the overall power requirements are actually about the same there.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      1 - We need to update that page! Yes - the 425 VA should be fine. Sure, ideally you'd get a sine wave UPS, but those cost a bit more and I'm not sure I can say that the extra protection will really help with a TiVo. For backup hard drives for sensitive data, yes, get a sine wave model. For a TiVo? I think a basic UPS is enough personally.

2 - The 425 VA should be fine here too. Since there is no internal drive on that TiVo, the overall power requirements are actually about the same there.
      Hello,

Based upon your reply, I purchased TWO (2):

APC UPS, 425VA UPS Battery Backup Surge Protector, BE425M Backup Battery Power Supply, Back-UPS Series
      https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDC236Q/

for my TiVo w/1TB drive and the TiVo with 14TB drive.

Comment

Sounds like the right plan!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X