Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TiVo audio skipping, stuttering using audio jacks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo audio skipping, stuttering using audio jacks!!

I have an HDMI connection from TiVo to my TV. Separately, I've connected TiVo's left and right audio jack output to my home audio/video entertainment system. The sound on my TV as well as my home A / V entertainment system is excellent when listening to Pandora -- feed by the HDMI input.

However, we sometimes want Pandora's background music from the TiVo box without the TV running all day. But when I separately feed the audio from TiVo's audio jacks connected to audio inputs to my home entertainment system, the sound skips and stutters.

I've trouble shoot this for several weeks believing that the wireless setup was the problem with my home theater's sound skipping and stuttering when listening to music on Pandora. I finally hardwired TiVo with a high quality Ethernet cable to my router -- but still had the problem.

Completely by chance, I removed the HDMI cable and the tempo of Pandora on my home entertainment system stopped skipping and stuttering. The sound was perfect. Plug the HDMI back in, with only my entertainment system on, and the sound skips again.

Is this a TiVo hardware problem. Kind of dumb to have both HDMI and separate Audio output and not be able to use one or the other when both are plugged in!!

Pretty bizarre - I've never heard of that. But I think it would be a receiver problem more likely than a TiVo problem.

But your receiver probably has a digital optical input, right? Why not use that instead of analog left and right - it may resolve the issue and should sound better.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi, WK,

Thanks. I connected the digital optical and it's worse (choppy) than the analog.

I'm using a Sony STR-DE975 Receiver. With this digital connection, the display flashes, PCM 48kHz, every time it cuts out... like it's searching for a signal. When I disconnect the HDMI cable from my TiVo box to the TV, the receiver plays perfectly. Or if I simply keep the TV on all the time, the receiver plays normally. But my goal is to shut the TV down when we want music only from TiVo's Pandora.

Hope you've got an idea...

Rounder

Comment

Does any other item (like a Blu-Ray player) have digital optical that you can try?

I don't mean to say TiVos are infallible in this regard, but nine times out of ten when we here about this type of thing, it's the receiver at fault.

Comment

Thanks, WK. I'll give it a try. In the mean time, here is an exchange with TiVo's tech support. Does this make sense?

~~~~~~

I would be glad to continue helping you with the updated information you provided.

Thanks for being more than patient on this. The HDMI carries the digital sound signal and the video signal on one cable. It's conflicting when you hook that up with the RCA audio out at the same time. You can use the Component (Red, Green & Blue Jacks) for the digital video to your TV and the Optical for digital sound to your receiver as an option. That sends the signals separately.

~~~~

Hi, Adam!

Now, this is getting frustrating. What you say is a contradiction considering that the outputs on most entertainment systems offer separate feed to any number of peripherals. I would agree with your explanation of "conflicting" inputs "if" I were trying to input HDMI, RCA, and/or optical to the same unit. But I am sending HDMI to the TV, and separately sending Optical to a separate home entertainment Receiver.

It should work in this fashion because TiVo's documentation says it does. Here is the documentation info: "Digital audio (optical) connectis to an A/V receiver or home theater system. Use an optical digital audio cable to connect the TiVo Premier to your home theater system for digital sound."

Also conflicting with your explanation is that the digital signal from either the RCA or the Optical cable to my Receiver is excellent, clear, and smooth WHEN the TV is on, with the HDMI cable connected to the TV ONLY. Here there is no apparent conflict when you should reasonable imagine -- using your explanation -- there should be.

Now, when there should be no apparent "conflict" (TV off and no demand for audio from the HDMI port), there is no longer a decent signal to the only unit operating and connected to TiVo -- and that is the Optical cable connected to the Receiver for purposes of listening to Pandora. What is the sense in that?

Now, if I turn the TV on (asking for TiVo to split the output to TWO separate units), the audio of Pandora on my Receiver is now outstanding! Again, your explanation doesn't work and is a contradiction. I need this problem resolution upgraded to a higher level!!! I don't have time to waste headscratching anymore.

What I want is a non-defective unit that will allow digital audio to my Home entertainment system as described by TiVo's documentation. Thanks.
          07/04/2011 07:32 AM

Comment

Here's an update from TiVo tech:

Thanks for the update. I in no way meant to be confusing or seem contradictory. I double checked with our next level Techs and they advised this is not supported without the TV being 'On'. The design for streaming music is with the TV 'On' to see the interface. However, you can research the TiVo community forums out there to see if a customer has found a workaround. I do apologize for the inconvenience on this and we do appreciate you as a TiVo customer.

~~~~~

Then, My question is -- why does the digital audio work perfectly on my Receiver when there is no TV connected at all?

Comment

You're asking me if the interchange with TiVo makes sense?

I get their point, but I don't really know if it's valid.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be a problem with my TiVo component or my Receiver. It's my Samsung. Through the HDMI connection, when the HD TV negotiates with the TiVo box, authenticating itself as being compliant with HDCP standards it makes the connection and allows me to listen to Pandora music on both the TV and my receiver.

Then when I hit the Samsung's "power off" button, the TV doesn't shut down completely. It goes into a low power mode. The HDMI sees the unit not compliant with HDCP standards and the sending unit (TiVo) interrupts output to all components (my receiver).

Without having to resort to using low-quality composite cables instead of the higher quality HDMI cables, my only work-around for listening to Pandora on TiVo without my Samsung TV running all day is to:
                1) Select the Pandora music station on my Samsung TV through the HDMI connection.
                2) Tune my Receiver to the TiVo high quality Optical Digital Audio input.
                3) Turn off the Samsung TV (here it goes into the low power mode).
                4) Use a separate power strip on the side of the Samsung TV, placing it off--then on, to completely remove power from the TV and thus reset the HDCP protocol -- allowing a steady stream of background music to my receiver without having the TV on all day.

Comment

Pretty interesting - a bizarre unintended consequence of HDCP.

These copy protection schemes always cause problems for legitimate users.

Comment

Working...
                  X