Netflix Freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Freezes

About three weeks ago the Netflix on my TIVO HD (with new hard drive from Weaknees installed in April) began to freeze. The picture would just stop in mid-stream (literally) and eventually the unit would go back to live TV. I contacted TIVO who had me go through a bunch of things including reinstalling the video on demand software and unlinking and re-linking the Netflix account. I also tried connecting the unit to my network with a Cat 5 cable. None of these things solved the problem. Initially when this started, my internet connection would drop. Subsequently the internet issue resolved itself, but the Netflix continued to freeze randomly. I installed a new router a couple of days ago figuring that maybe the old one was getting a little "flaky". Now instead of freezing on an image, the program on the screen will go to black again randomly. Eventually it will go back to live TV. If you immediately try selecting "Video on Demand", the unit will just cycle back to TIVO Central. It will do this for about 3 or 4 minutes after which the video on demand can be accessed. Yesterday while the video on demand was inaccessible, I tried to access the network status and got a failed on the port and dns tests. The unit then re-booted itself. I have 4 other Netflix devices in the house including a Premiere and none of them have this problem. I am currently running the overnight hard drive test and will see what happens.

I called Weaknees tech support last week and the technician said that a bad hard drive would not affect Netflix. I have read contradictory info on this board.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Rich

Well, I spoke too soon. My wife's TIVO Premiere also went to a black screen followed by an error message. Coincidentally the computer which I was on at the time lost internet connectivity. I check the cable modem diags and it rebooted itself just around this time. It seems that the cable service is the issue.

I have an email into someone I know at Cablevision and will see what he has to say.

To be continued...

Comment

Sounds like a network problem.

Comment

Yes, it is in fact a network problem. I logged into my cable modem and reviewed the logs. It seems that Netflix through both TIVOs is causing the modem to crash and re-boot. Interestingly this does not happen with any rhyme or reason. Two shows can play fine and the third will crash. Both Netflix and TIVO say that it is not their fault. The cable company sent an engineer out to the house in addition to checking their nodes for problems, nothing there. I'm waiting for a new cable modem although I get the sneaking suspicion that TIVO changed something in the way which they stream their video on demand. The problem is when you get level 1 tech support they are not privy to any of this info and generally follow the logic tree which works in about 80% of the cases.

Right now I'm streaming Netflix on my Roku without incident. We'll see how long that works.

Stay tuned...

Comment

Working...
        X