Noisy hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy hard drive

About a year ago i purchased a 3TB external hard drive for our Edge; it has and is working well with a single exception. Beginning a week or so ago, the frequent-to-constant clicking as the head moves disturbs us when the TV is off. So I have some questions:
    (1) What is the likelihood that the clicking noise will go away?
    (2) We have a Bolt, also with a 3TB external HD that isn't noisy. Can we just swap the HD's? (The noise difference may be due to the usage difference.)
    (3) Are current HD's less likely to be noisy? Can we purchase a bare HD to put in our WK external enclosure?
    TIA, Fred

The TiVo behaves the same whether the TV is on or off. The unit is constantly recording, which is why, when you turn the TV on, you can rewind live TV.

You cannot move drives between a Bolt and Edge, but you can move the Bolt (and it's drive) to the location where the Edge (and it's drive) are located, and vice versa.

It is possible that you are hearing fan noise, as the 3TB drives are really not particularly loud.

Comment

Not the fan, definitely the drive because it's clicking rather than scraping or bearing noise.
      I agree that the 3TB drive are not loud, but this one has become so.

Comment

Working...
      X