Power Supply Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Question

New member here. I had a crashed TiVo Premiere hard drive that probably came from a cable company tech pulling & inserting a cable card without disconnecting the power cord. They comp’ed me with funds to buy a new TiVo and a lifetime service plan. I’m trying to fix the old one anyway. WeaKnees told me that the 500 Gb drive was stone cold dead so they couldn’t extract my programming. Also they found a bad power supply. Here’s the question. How was the unit able to display a frozen start-up screen without a functioning power supply? Can they be partially functional? A local shop made an attempt before shipping the unit to WeaKnees so maybe they damaged the power supply. Thanks.
    Last edited by GregRoadFan; 09-09-2023, 08:31 AM.

For sure, a power supply can be partially functional. We see it all the time. Some just can't give out the full amperage required for things like spinning up the hard drive, but they can deliver enough to output HDMI for example.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael. That's what I needed to know. I'm glad I had the unit sent to WeaKnees rather than just slow-walk the repair steps.

Comment

As a follow-up, I’ve had to power cycle the unit many times in dealing with cable company issues. Most recently it was a bad band in their service spectrum. An inexperienced tech swapped the cable and OTA coaxes before the street problem was ID’ed. Then another one made the cable card mistake that took me down. TiVo recommends power cycling to restore nominal function when buffer glut occurs. This power cycling must cause wear on the power supply. WK suggests a UPS to prevent power drop-outs. How bad is power cycling?

Comment

Not terrible. Just try to keep it fairly rare.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X