old house wiring = not grounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old house wiring = not grounded

One of my DirecTivos is on its way back from the 'hospital' and the email I received recommended a UPS.

Will one of these work on circuits that don't have a ground wire? My circa 1956 wiring does not supply a ground wire, but my computers, TV and other electronics seem to be OK with that. My 2 rather old DirecTivos however may not be happy with this situation. Now each has had emergency surgery, but they are truly quite old, and hard drives don't live forever...

Would a UPS help? Would it run without finding Ground?

Thanks

A UPS will have a 3-pronged plug; the battery backup portion will work without a ground, but really, without proper grounding (with or without a UPS), you are risking damage to the TiVo from power fluctuations. If there is a surge, there is nowhere to ground the spike other than into your TiVo.

Comment

Will there be any value in the "battery backup portion" working? Will that help with the power fluctuations? Re-wiring the house is not possible unless you know of an electrician who works pro bono for old people ;-)

Comment

Yes - absolutely. The battery backup is primarily why we recommend a UPS.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, I'll buy a UPS, but I have the two DirecTivos - what UPS will let me plug them both in at once?

Comment

Yeah - it should have enough capacity for both. Just don't plug your TV into it.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X