TiVo Premere not able to access settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Premere not able to access settings

Long story long... ;-) I recently moved, and am having problems setting up my TiVo Premier in the new location.

In the old location I had my TiVo Premiere connected via HDMI to a 1080p HD set, and the network hardwired to my router.
    In the new location I am attempting to set up my TiVo Premiere to an older SD set via composite set, and the network connected via the TiVo wireless G adapter. (The only TV near the cable is the SD set, and the router is way too far away for hardwiring. I've confirmed that my Wi-Fi repeater setup gives good signal in the new location via my Android phone.)

The problem is when I boot the TiVo Premier up I (unsurprisingly) get the TiVo Central screen with a complaint that some functions are disabled until the network is reconnected. Unfortunately, when I attempt to go into the settings menu, the text blanks and then I cycle back to the base TiVo Central screen. (In fact, any of the options in the "Settings & Messages" cycle back to the TiVo Central screen.) The system was off (and in the original packing box) for about 1 week before I could set it back up. Scarily, when I check the listing of recorded shows, it's blank. Hopefully this is just a temporary error because the system can't find a network and I haven't lost the recordings that I haven't watched yet...

Thinking that the issue might be the HD to SD change, I've set the TiVo up connected back to my 1080p HD set via HDMI (no cable connection), but have the same issues.

How can I fix the network issues if I can't even access the settings? I'm currently running through the Hard-drive S.M.A.R.T. test to rule out damage to the HDD during the move. Currently it has passed the Initial state, Short test, and Conveyance test. It's 40% through the Extended test (with an estimated 60 minutes left...)

If it helps show the issues, I can take a quick video of what is happening and post it to YouTube/Picasa/G+ and post the link here.

Sounds a lot like a hard drive problem to me. I'm willing to bet a replacement would fix it. See what happens with those tests, and also try the overnight test, and post back.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Unfortunately, I think you are right. The regular SMART test passed, but three overnight test attempts in a row all failed on Seek time vs. distance on /dev/hda. Lots of green dots...

If I send you the HDD and a new one, would you be able to attempt to recover the actual recordings and season pass settings?

Comment

We can try, but there unfortunately is no refund if we are unsuccessful.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
          We can try, but there unfortunately is no refund if we are unsuccessful.
          Sorry, poorly worded question. Would you need the entire unit to attempt to recover the saved shows and/or season pass data, or is just the old HDD all that is needed. (Of course with a new HDD to prep for installing.)

I understand that if you are unsuccessful recovering data there would be no refund. I'm kinda seeing it as a last ditch effort before scrapping the old drive. What is really important is getting a new drive in the unit to be functional again. Or would this be more of a job for the TiVo techs to do?
          Last edited by Sembazuru; 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM. Reason: continuation of thought...

Comment

We'd need the entire unit in order to attempt recovery of the shows.

As far as a new drive, we have them. TiVo really doesn't offer that type of service.

Comment

I realized that I had purchased the $30 black-tie extended service plan when I bought my TiVo at BB... Going to see if I can get them to swap it (and just deal with loosing the saved programs and having to reprogram my season pass settings).

$30 already spent is the better deal at the moment. If that doesn't work, I'll be back. ;-)

Comment

OK - I'm definitely curious about how they'll handle this, so please post back.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  OK - I'm definitely curious about how they'll handle this, so please post back.
                  Well, I took it in and told the Geek Squadder what was wrong, and mentioned that I had asked here and was told likely HDD issues. Then I said that I ran the kickstart overnight test and got a HDD error. He then told me to grab a new one off the shelf and they would swap it out for me. Bonus for me was they changed the pricing of the GSBT (Geek Squad Black Tie) plans. Originally I had a 2 year for $30 (well, $29.99...), but with the new pricing I was able to get a 4 year for $20.

The new unit is up and running. I called TiVo and explained that BB had swapped my old unit with a new unit and they changed my system serial number without having to start a new plan. (I never got a lifetime, I'm doing the yearly thing. I never conceptually liked how the lifetime was locked to an individual unit...) I'm now just waiting for Comcast to install an M-Card, they are insisting on a truck roll.

Thanx for your help.
                  Last edited by Sembazuru; 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM. Reason: Added last line

Comment

Excellent - thanks for the post. I'm curious about what they'd do if the units weren't on the shelf, but glad you got squared away.

Comment

Working...
                    X