PS? 2 bad disks? Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS? 2 bad disks? Motherboard?

I have a Tivo HD w/ lifetime subscription.

I bought it used a couple of years ago... but I know the person that had it and they really never even set the darn thing up. It was for all practical purposes new.

I immediately updated it to a 1GB drive and stored the original away in a safe place.

Yesterday the drive seemed to start acting up. I got 2-3 reboots... then this morning it was a cyclic reboot. I forced a green screen on it... and it went cyclic before the green screen should have finished.

I RMA'ed the drive (still under warranty) and fetched the original. I put the original in and it worked fine. I forced a few connections to tivo and forced a reboot (it said it had updates pending a reboot) to get it going and all seemed right with the world.

6 hours later, it's cyclic. Sometimes it gives "welcome, powering up" and sometimes it falls back to a fast blinking green LED -- no video out. Reseting the power seems to get it back to Welcome.

Ideas?

Check the power supply for burst capacitors:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

All capacitors look (to my untrained eye) flat-topped and non-bulging.

I unplugged the box last night about 8pm.... plugged it in right before bed. It booted fine and right now it's still up, though I am not so confident it will stay up.

Comment

I'd still guess it's a bad power supply, actually. We do see most bad ones showing some bad caps, but a definitely minority are bad with no visible evidence.

Comment

holding my breath after 12 hours uptime... but will probably try ordering one when it dies.

Comment

Try recording two channels at once - sometimes that'll draw enough extra current to put it over the edge of it's output capacity.

Comment

I've had multiple dual recordings with no issues yet. I won't trust it until it's been up a month or so.

Comment

OK - tell us what you find.

Comment

Working...
                X