Swap HDDs between TiVos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap HDDs between TiVos?

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 with the factory Maxtor 80GB drive. I have just bought from eBay what appears to be either a TiVo TCD240040 or TiVo TCD24004A (All I know is that it is a black Series2 with factory 40GB drive)

I would like to swap the HDDs between the two. Is this possible without changing anything on the drives? I don't care about keeping recordings.

Thanks in advance
    theo

EDIT: I have just heard back from the seller and it is a TiVo TCD24004A
    Last edited by Theo_Stephen; 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM. Reason: Confirmed exact model no.

Nope - those use different versions of the TiVo OS, so that won't work.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael,

Thanks. Will one of the boxes read the other's HDD, or do the OSs have to match up perfectly?

Also, is there any way to prepare the drives without rebooting into them? I don't have a desktop PC. I do, however, have a USB to IDE dongle but I'm not sure if that works without booting into Windows.

Thank you very much for your quick response. When I decide to upgrade beyond 80GB, I will absolutely buy from WeaKnees!

theo

Comment

The TiVo boxes have to be the same model.

Comment

Allright. Good to know. I can swap the drives anyway, right? I just have to format them both? (I have only skimmed http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html)

Thanks again
          theo

Comment

That's right - if you reformat, you can move drives.

The problem is, you can't shrink the partitions to get the 80 GB OS onto the 40 GB drive.

Comment

OK. I will buy another drive.

Thank you both very much for your help!

Comment

Right - for a smaller drive, that usually makes the most sense.

Comment

Working...
                X