Premiere with WD Extender constantly rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere with WD Extender constantly rebooting

So my Premiere with WD Extender (about 90% capacity, fully updated) is constantly rebooting. It will reboot into a working state, with everything working properly...then, anywhere from every 5 to 15 minutes, it will reboot (I have tons of shows with multiple partials recorded now because of it). I called Tivo Support, and they told me to power down the unit, and extender, unplug the eSata and reboot to see if it still reboots without it attached (granted it stays at the "External Storage Not Connected" screen and never gets to live TV - BUT it seems to NOT reboot without the extender attached). So, I'm trying to understand my options here. If I hit "Clear" at that screen, it seems like I will lose everything (guessing it would format the internal drive as well?). So, that does seem to indicate that the extender is bad?? If so - is that a hardware issue...or can it just be reformatted? If I have to lose everything, is there more reliability in a single larger capacity drive, than using the extender? ANY way to salvage the shows, since it WILL boot up (although not for too long)...I have a USB SATA drive dock...no way to extract the data, is there? Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd suggest you start by testing your drives from within the TiVo. See:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

There is no way to extract data if your unit is rebooting every 5-15 minutes and a drive is bad. Sorry.

Comment

Thanks. I ran the tests, and got the attached results. I assume this means that it is in fact the internal drive and NOT the extender that is bad? Is there any need to run further tests (whether the short, long or overnight tests?), or is it pretty clear based on these results that it is the internal drive? What are my options to get this thing back up and running? A replacement kit?

Comment

This does suggest that your internal is bad. I'd suggest you replace both drives with a single, larger drive.

Comment

Working...
        X