TiVo Premiere XL 2TB external drive very noisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Premiere XL 2TB external drive very noisy

We have the TiVo Premiere XL 5600 Hour SD / 640 Hour HD DVR with the 2TB External drive from Weaknees and everything has been running absolutely great since we purchased about 2 months ago.

However, on the way out the door for work this morning, I noticed the 2TB external drive was making a terrible noise; very noticeable. Checked the Tivo and all was running fine. Running lights on 2TB external drive were all normal.
    I shut the Tivo down and power cycled the 2TB external drive and everything came back up fine, no error messages but the loud noise in the external drive was still there. I had to leave for work so could not do any further trouble shooting but was wondering if this could possibly be the fan in the 2TB drive or is this is a symptom of the external drive dying after only 2 months of operation? FWIW, did not sound like typical HDD in death throes. Thanks for any help.

Yes - that could definitely be the fan. We have replacements - contact us if you hear it again.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks - will check when I get home this evening. Is opening the case on the external drive ok to do or will that void the warranty?

Comment

It's OK - just be very careful please!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X