Tivo Series 2 Dual tuner & digital cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Series 2 Dual tuner & digital cable

We have "old school" Tivo equipment in our household as we are not financially able to afford to switch over to HD tv.

Last week comcast switched our basic cable programming from analog to digital.

We requested a digital cable box for our Series 2 dual tuner Tivo and set it up with the incoming coax cable attached to a splitter and then connected to our cable box and our Tivo.

We have not been able to get a signal when the splitter is on but when the splitter is removed we do get a signal but do not have the dual tuner capability.

I told today that we will no longer have the dual tuner recording with only 1 cable box.

It was recommended to that purchase a new tivo with cardcable capability. Looking at the Tivo's offered by Weaknees, we are thinking that the basic Tivo Premier will suit our purposes since we only have limited basic cable.

My questions are these:

Is it correct that we can no longer dual record with a digital cable box?

If so, is the Tivo Premiere the right way to go as an inexpensive means to get back dual tuning?

If I hook up a USB network adapter to the Series 2 tuner and the new Premier tuner will I be able to "stream" programming content between the two tuners or do I have to "transfer" programming?

Either way, whether I have to stream or transfer, am I able to do so in both directions? Series 2 existing programming to the Premiere and new programming from the Premiere to the Series 2?

Thanks in advance!

Correct--you can't use dual-tuners with your model and your now-digital cable system.

Any unit on this page will give you 2 (or 4) tuners:

www.weaknees.com/4

For information about streaming, see:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/..._id/1986#howto

Comment

Thank you for your reply with the helpful links.

A couple of last questions:

once I deactivate the Series 2 dual tuner and activate the Premiere, since I already have another Tivo hooked up to my TV I am not sure I can hook a third so I am trying to figure out if I will still be able to access my Series 2 content through the network without being hooked up to my TV.

Will I still be able to transfer content back and forth between the deactivated Series 2 and the Premiere through the home network?

Comment

The unit needs to be activate to transfer shows.

You can have up to 9 TiVos in one room and you can program the remotes to operate only one without interfering with another.

Comment

Good to know about the number of Tivo's that can be hooked up.

Argh! So in other words, if I want to transfer content off the Series 2 tuner onto the Premiere I need to pay for two tuners until I complete the transfer?

Or is there some other way to transfer the shows?

Comment

Nope. Both need to be active on the same account for any transfer to work.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X