Tivo Series 3 HD XL TCD658000 Rebooting at Welcome...Powering Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Series 3 HD XL TCD658000 Rebooting at Welcome...Powering Up

This started the night before last. I was in the middle of watching a recording and the system rebooted. It came back up just fine. I started the same show over and attempted to skip to the point that I was at when the reboot occurred. when I got to that point the system rebooted. I then let it come up and went to the settings screen and started to look for diagnostics and it rebooted again. At this point is stays at the Welcome...Powering Up screen and will just reboot after it sits on that screen for a while.

I pulled the drive out (WD10EVVS model), I downloaded the WD drive diagnostics and let it run the quick test. It passed. I then ran the extended test. After 13 hours it completed and reported that everything is ok with the drive.

I have cleaned out all the dust in the system and will install the drive and try again. Should this still reboot what would you suggest as a next step? I am thinking that perhaps a format and reapply the image. If you agree, would you happen to have a link to the instructions and the series 3 image?

You might want to inspect your power supply, see:

How to inspect a TiVo power supply for problems

Comment

thanks Jeff. I will take a look at the PSU when I get home this evening for any signs of failed components.

Comment

i looked at the PSU and all the caps look good. The resisters are fine as well. I cleaned out all the dust and fired it up and that seems to have gotten it. im up and running and have been watching live tv for 30 minutes. ill try that particular recording later and see how it does. my next step will be a format if it starts rebooting again..

Comment

So a night of watching live and recorded TV and all seems to be ok. Looks like it was just a case of dust causing a heat issue and causing the box to reboot.

Comment

That rarely works, so consider yourself lucky!

Comment

Working...
            X