Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds drop out, picture freezes, pixals, snaps back...what's wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds drop out, picture freezes, pixals, snaps back...what's wrong?

I have a TiVO series 3, the sound will drop out for about 5 seconds, the picture freezes for about 1-2 seconds, pixalates, then jumps back into "normal mode". This happens anywhere from every few minutes to several times during an hour. Also, most of the time when a recorded is to start it will tape a blank screen. It's often difficult to get the channel to show. It sometimes can be done by clicking up a few channels, then down a few. This happens on all channels, standard and HD channels. These situations happen on two separate TiVO Series 3 units on different TVs.

So far I've had Comcast out to adjust the signal strength, it now shows a constant value of 93 when recording.
    I've switched out the power supply and hard drive (did a SMART test on the hard drive, everything came back ok)
    Switched out the cable card.

I don't know what to do to do, suggestions?

Run the overnight test on the hard drive and see what you get.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I've done that and everything comes says "Passed", I've also switched hard drives, same problem.

Comment

Hmm. You've covered the bases.

How about a bad HDMI cable, or even a bad TV? Have you tried it on another TV? It's rare, but sometimes it's actually the TV.

Comment

Yes, I've tried it on two different sets, same results. They're not HD TVs though, no HDMI cable, but I have changed the red, yellow, white RCA cables, twice to make sure it wasn't the cable or connections.

Comment

My guess would be power supply problems. Maybe get a UPS:

http://www.weaknees.com/protect.php

Comment

Working...
            X