Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roamio vs Genie and Roamio OK for Time Warner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roamio vs Genie and Roamio OK for Time Warner?

Hi all,

I realize this is really a pre-sales question, but I thought I'd reach out anyway to see what feedback and advice I get. I am considering dropping DirecTV and switching to TiVo + Time Warner. I'd like 1) a comparison of Genie vs Roamio, and 2) a primer on how well TiVo/Roamio works with Time Warner Cable. A brief background:

We've been loyal to DirecTV for 13 years, originally signing up because of the TiVo hardware. We were disappointed a few years ago that DirecTV and TiVo split and didn't like the DirecTV hardware, but stuck with them anyway. Recently I got excited that apparently TiVo was coming back to DirecTV, but while they did, you can't get the top tier features (whole house) if you opt for the TiVo + DirecTV grouping. So, with reservation I decided to go the Genie route. The technician contractor responsible for performing the Genie upgrade has been miserable to deal with. My upgrade hasn't been attempted and we're coming up on one week overdue. We were here as per the committed schedule and the tech missed the visit. Since then, it's been a constant barrage of phone calls trying to get someone out here to do the installation. Because of that, I am reconsidering and thinking maybe I can get my TiVo back.

Can someone help me understand how the new TiVo Roamio compares to the Genie?

Can someone also help me understand how complicated it is to pair Time Warner Cable service with the Roamio? I've already got Time Warner Internet and phone, and I've looked over the CableCard blog post. Do I just ask Time Warner to start sending the cable feed to the house, and as long as I get a CableCard I just connect the Roamio box and we're good?

Thanks,

Chris

I've gone ahead and purchased Time Warner Cable and arranged to pick up a CableCard at their local office. I'll be ordering a Roamio and a Mini Monday. Does anyone know the availability of the Roamio Pro 4TB?

Chris

Comment

Genie and Roamio are really pretty different units, each with a slew of pluses and minuses. But it sounds like you've decided on Roamio, and we think these are fantastic units. They're fast, full of features, and still have the best remote around.

If you order a 4 TB Roamio, it'll ship within one business day. They're in stock.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Michael,

I ordered the 4TB Roamio Pro and a Mini today from Weaknees. I have a question regarding the street feed from TWC. I have a line up from the street that's terminated at the house and then a single service line into the house. This service line currently has a 2-way splitter running my Time Warner Internet (I use my own Motorola modem) and my Time Warner phone. I have conflicting information from Time Warner as far as the use of a 3-way splitter inside the house. The most recent feedback from TWC is that the use of a 3-way might work, but the TV signal will be weak.

As an alternative, I have a second service line into the house that is unused and simply coiled in the Time Warner box on the side of the house. I could add a 2-way splitter there and actually have two inbound service lines. That would mean I could connect the TiVo to the new service line and leave the Internet/Phone wiring untouched.

What do you think of these two options? In either scenario I'd need to know what splitter to get (balanced/unbalanced, etc).

Help?

Chris

Comment

The Mini needs to be on the same cable line as the TiVo if you are going to use MoCA. If you have one line that carries cable to the room where your Pro will be, you could add a splitter to that line and send the signal to your other TV.

Consider a massive house with 5+ rooms...it has a single line into the house and then is split multiple times to get cable to all rooms. I think if you split one more time to get the signal to the Mini, you should be fine.

Comment

I'm going to connect the TiVo gear via wired Ethernet. At each "TV" location there are 2x coax drops and 1x CAT5 drop. I can connect the TiVo gear via wired Ethernet routed through a switch that's connected via wired Ethernet to my DHCP server/router.

That said I still don't know how to treat the inbound feed to the TiVo Roamio. Should I replace the current 2-way splitter inside the house with a 3-way, or install a new 2-way splitter on the outside of the house and employ the #2 service line for TiVo use (Don't touch the current split Internet/phone feed).

Chris

Comment

Either approach should be fine. I guess I'd opt for doing it inside.

Comment

I live in Los Angeles and have a Weaknees Roamio Basic 2TB. Currently I use it only with the antenna. I am considering going back to Time Warner since sports are very limited over the antenna.

I have seen a lot of posts on other sites (ie the TIVO site) indicating that the are many issues with the Time Warner cable cards.

Do you know if I will have any compatibility issues with the cable card and tuner here in Los Angeles?

Comment

We really think that the TimeWarner CableCARD issues in Los Angeles, and even nationwide, are over. There were plenty of problems at initial rollout, but it's been seven (?) years now, and this is all pretty routine at this point. I rarely, if ever, hear of CableCARD problems here with TW.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                    We really think that the TimeWarner CableCARD issues in Los Angeles, and even nationwide, are over. There were plenty of problems at initial rollout, but it's been seven (?) years now, and this is all pretty routine at this point. I rarely, if ever, hear of CableCARD problems here with TW.
                    OK, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X