Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 External HD - message "not connected"

Hi,
    I have a Tivo Series 3 with a WD My Book external storage drive attached. (this external drive was bought before Tivo started selling them, it IS NOT a Tivo Extender) I have been using it for about 6 years without problems. Three days ago I started getting a green screen with the message that the external drive was not connected or present.

What I've done:
    1) checked the connections at both ends of the ESata cable and cleaned them.
    2) cleaned the ESata connection of any dust on the Tivo.
    3) gone through the re-boot process multiple times.
    4) executed the Kickstart process #54 and run all tests on hda and hdc except the "overnight" test. All tests PASS.

If both drives pass the tests then what could be the problem?

I replaced the power supply about 1.5 years ago, so I'm not thinking it is the supply.

I did note something a little strange. The background colors on the "powering up screens" at start up have a fuchsia (purpleish) color in place of the black that is typically there. When the unit starts and shows the THX loco and then the Tivo character the screen is black where you would typically see that part of the screen black.

I'm stumped...any ideas?

Sounds like you might have a bad external, at a minimum.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way for me to transfer my shows that appear in the "Now Showing" table to my PC to save them then put a larger HD in the Tivo and transfer them back for watching? Can that be done with the Tivo Windows Desktop?

Comment

TiVo Desktop won't be able to grab the shows if the TiVo can't fully boot.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X