Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered reasonable disk life for WD 20EURS AV-GP 2TB disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is considered reasonable disk life for WD 20EURS AV-GP 2TB disk?

I have a TiVo TCD652160 with an upgraded 2TB disk, which is the WD 20EURS AV-GP. I originally started with the 1TB WD version soon after I purchased the unit several years ago. My problem is after 2 - 11 months the Tivo begins rebooting during recordings, playback or nothing more than recording the current dual channel streams. I have recently purchased a second WD 20EURS AV-GP disk which I do a disk duplication of prior to RMA of disk to WD. After replacing the disk, my Tivo will work flawlessly for 2 - 11 months and the cycle starts over again.

Based upon the fact that after I copy and replace the disk my Tivo goes back to working solidly for a period of time, I believe the issue is with the disk. I use wdidle3 to set the timeout to 0. My question is basically whether this is normal for these disks or should I start to purchase a different manufacturer of AV/DVR disks.

I do this enough that I have a dedicated PC with an internal IDE drive and 2 - SATA ports just for making disk copies.

I look forward to any insight on this issue.

We find these drives to generally last 3-5 years, with more getting to 5 years these days, and plenty exceeding that.

2-11 months implies some problem in your setup, likely a bad power supply, or bad external power to the unit.

See this page for information on a possible bad internal TiVo power supply:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X