green screen on phillips hdr31204

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green screen on phillips hdr31204

i have a phillips hdr31204 which i upgraded to a 120gb main drive and an 80gb second drive. the other day i started to have a problem where the tivo would lock up...picture would just freeze. if i rebooted, it would work fine for about 10 minutes and then lock again. the third time it went to GSOD and has been stuck on that for days. i've rebooted a few times, and given it hours to try and repair itself, but still get the GSOD.

i opened the box to make sure all cables were tight etc.

also tried to boot with only the main drive connected -- in that case it didn't give me the GSOD, just started looping through "powering up" and "almost there"
    (also, if just the slave drive is connected it just sits on "powering up" but i suppose that's to be expected)

are both drives bad? is it worth trying to sort out whether only one is bad (they're both about 3 years old)?
    is there any way to save any of the programming?

thanks.

If the drives are about 3 years old, then you should just remove both and use new ones at this point. At least one of them is bad, and it's not worth re-using a three year old drive given the prices (and better technology) of new drives these days. We have kits for your model here:

http://www.weaknees.com/hdr1.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

oddly enough, after starting it up with each drive connected individually, i plugged them both in again and rebooted. it went back to the GSOD, but after about 15 minutes it fixed itself and restarted with all programming, etc. intact. how about that. it's as if trying to startup from just one of the drives got it over some sort of hump.

i know i'm on borrowed time so i'll try to watch as much as possible and then swap out for a new drive(s).

thanks again.

Comment

OK - can't explain that except to say that it must be something intermittent, so try to watch fast!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X