Can I Save my Content?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Save my Content?

I have a Series 2 Standalone TiVo. It’s a little over 2 years old. I've been having problems with it powering down and freezing during playback. My power supply was definitely bad (the cord had to be plugged in "just so" to get it to power up again), so I replaced that first. I continued to have problems with playback freezing and the TiVo powering down, so I replaced the hdd.

I knew I had an upgraded TiVo, but I purchased it that way, so I wasn't aware until I opened the box that I have 2 hdds, each 300GB. I would like to save some of my content if I can. I'm thinking that perhaps only one of the hdds is bad? How can I tell Can content be saved from the bad hdd? ... from a good hdd if one is good? If I can save the content, what is the best way to go about it? Can the good hdd be added back into the TiVo without losing the content?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

I had upgraded my Series 2 Tivo about 6 months ago with the Twinbreeze complete kit. It was working fine then about a month later the 2nd fan would make really loud noises and it seemed that the system would freeze so I unplugged the fan and that seemed to fix. Now about 6 months later my system would freeze about 1 or 2wice a week. Last week it would reboot every hour. When It would reboot it sounded like one of the drives would get power and then lose power.

solution - I removed the Power Trip and the systems been running fine since then. Next time I'll probably just purchase the bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by darrylw498 View Post

solution - I removed the Power Trip and the systems been running fine since then. Next time I'll probably just purchase the bracket.
      Are you saying my drives might not be bad? The TiVo is working fine with the new drive and my old drives are over 2 years old, so I'm not convinced. Also, I don't understand what you mean by removing the Power Trip.

I'm wondering if I add the old drive that was set as slave (assuming that more likely the one that was master is the bad one) as a slave to my new drive (setting that as master with slave present), will I be able to save the content on my old drive? Will this even work or are other steps necessary to get the drives to work together? If I try this, will I in any way risk damaging my new drive?

Would appreciate any advice or help!

Comment

I don't think the problem is with your PowerTrip.

One option, if you can boot the TiVo, is to move your contents to a PC. Get your new drive installed, and then move the content back. All you need is a networked TiVo.

Comment

Do I need TiVo To Go? I have it (just haven't used it yet).

Comment

Yes--you just need to download TiVo Desktop and install it on your PC; follow the instructions to access your TiVo and you can then download the content to your PC.

Comment

Working...
            X