Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspicious after DTiVo software upgrade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspicious after DTiVo software upgrade...

Okay, my Series 1 Philips DSR6000 has been acting up lately. It's been upgraded with (as I recall) two 120G HDs. I have no idea what I did with the original (unlike my first, now dead SA TiVo HD, which resides in a special box).

Anyway, since moving to Vonage in December, I no longer have it hooked up to a phone line, but when I heard about the time change software update, I forced it to make it happen.

Ever since then, when playing back video (or even watching "live tv"), I get a frequent "burp", where the video pauses for a second or two, then digitally "catches up" rapidly (it sounds like a CD or an old DAT tape being fast-forwarded).

This even occurs when watching very old recordings I have stored, though not nearly as frequently as it does with videos recorded since the SW update. As a result, I'm more than suspicious that it's not just a bad HD or two I'm dealing with here. Working 100% perfectly prior to a SW upgrade and then screwing up frequently immediately afterward forces me to suspect the soft rather than the hard.

I could (and might) just pick up a couple of new HDs and image them, but before I do that I'd prefer to see if there are other alternatives to pursue as money's too tight to mention just now (IRS next month and my health insurance just shot up like a Chinese satellite-destroying rocket).

Any suggestions are appreciated...the temp is at an even 50C (on the high-end, I know, but still within accepted tolerance). I plan to power down at midnight and let it "rest" until morning, but I am doubtful that will solve this problem.

It SEEMS as if I'm the only one experiencing EXACTLY THIS problem...anyone else? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

(I hate imaging HDs...and I hate unnecessarily spending money even more.)

Thanks in advance,

K.

As a follow-up, I powered the unit down for about 8 hours overnight. Upon re-powering, the issue was even WORSE than before, so the TEMP wasn't an issue (39C at powerup).

However, oddly enough, as the morning has progressed, the situation has diminished somewhat. My GUESS is, after deleting dozens of hours from Now Playing, some of the material I'm looking at is from the GOOD drive of the two.

Since it's probably easier to just replace both 80G drives with images, that's what I'm looking at just now...then I can determine which drive is defective and then make the good one a standby or a backup drive I can shove in a USB enclosure or something.

Comment

You likely have a bad drive. My guess is that a new drive will get you back up and running.

Comment

I purchased two new drives today...but I couldn't find an 80Gig, just a 160Gig. Will I be sacrificing 37Gb because of the series one drive limitations? Or is there a workaround?

(I expect to work on the TiVo Issue Sunday afternoon, EDT, so any response is appreciated.)

Comment

Your unit will see 137gb of any single drive reliably.

You probably know this from reading the forums, but as an FYI, blank drives don't work.

Comment

Working...
          X