Series 2, Humax DRT800, problems burning DVD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2, Humax DRT800, problems burning DVD's

Recording and other functions working fine. I've been having sporadic, now constant problems burning DVD's for external use. It goes through the the "preparing" process ok, then goes to "saving" and never gets above 0% finally aborting. Previously when its done this, I've done a reset a couple of times and for some reason it works again. BTW, this model NEVER lets you write a DVD over about 80% or with more than 2 files at the same time it is recording from cable, fyi. Are there firmware updates? Anything else I can try? Is there a particular DVD-R brand it likes?
    Desparate in Oakland

I would recommend that you try another brand of DVDs. Also, you should try recording some different programs--you might have a bad drive or some corruption in the programs you are trying to record. A 'clear and delete everything' might be a good thing to try as well, although you would lose your recorded shows in the process.

Comment

I've tried most brands, about 1/3 just do not work on the Humax w Your Burner

I'm not too happy about this. Using Sony DVD's, I have about a 10 to 1 "failure" ratio. Using Memorex, I'm having about 10 to 1 success in burning, except when I burn 3 or more programs that use about 60% or more disc space. Then it just goes to failure no matter what the brand. I've probably gone through 6-7 brands so far, depending on what's on sale. There seems to be a direct correlation. It doesn't have to do with a particular program--I've burned 2-300 discs so far. I think the Weakness upgraded HD's are great...the DVD burner...What's the brand/source of the actual DVDR burners you use? The thing is that I bought a Weakness in order to do what I need and avoid the hassle of going through my PC, a Dell, but which burns DVD's much much more reliably, but not more simply.
      I guess I'll just stick with the Memorex which seem to work best...but it doesn't exactly function as advertised. I love the thing, but...no, I'm not going to "clear" everything. I'm just fed up with every darned hardware/software maker in the world telling me to trash everything I have in the machine I paid for just to jump through the service hoop. I'd rather hear if anybody else has problems with the series 2 Humax DVD Burner. OK, maybe I'm just cursed. Still luv my WeakTivo, even with it's half limping DVD burner.
      Last edited by Count Marco; 03-27-2007, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I believe that Humax uses a Pioneer burner in the unit; weaKnees actually has nothing to do with the DVD recorder choice, and in fact changing DVD recorders is not going to be of much assistance.

Comment

Ok...All I'm looking for are answers

Has anyone any idea what the problem might be, and if the problem isn't with the burner, any inkling as to what the problem might be? (Sorry, feels like I'm playing 20 questions, here.)

Comment

I'm having the same problems with the DRT800. I have two of them and with one I had to have the DVD burner replace (it simply quit spinning up). I also had to try many different brands of DVD-R media. I have found that Sony works best for me. However, on one of my uints, I can no longer write DVD-RW and the DVD-R fails like you've indicated. I typically burn 1-hour programs recorded at best quality which just fits on one DVD. I have noticed, too, that it will always fail if I try burning while it is recording. Usually a reboot helps, but now always. Please email me if you find a solution to this problem. And Weeknees, please respond to this thread if you're reading it.

Comment

We expect to have stock of replacement burners very soon, but these problems can also be hard drive problems. Have you tried testing your drive in a PC with the manufacturer's diagnostics?
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

HUMAX DVD Problem

I was burning a DVD last night, but received the message "Unable to Save" at some point during the process. I was then unable to open the DVD drawer. Whenever I pushed the button to open it (remote or unit), the DVD message I received was that it was loading. Any ideas?

Comment

Try rebooting, but that does sound like a bad burner.

Comment

Hello

Am having the same problem as this thread. Does this use a standard drive that I can buy and replace or is there something special about it?

Thanks

Comment

We have the drives - only specific models with exactly the right firmware will work. We have them with our replacement DVD burners for TiVo.

Comment

Same thing here except mine is a 40 hour. Probably ment to go bad after so long. There way of trying to get more $$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                        X