Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual Hard Disk Capacity ?

Hello all, new TiVo user here.

I have a rather new TiVo Series2 Dual Tuner (Series2 DT) with a single 80GB hard drive, Model TCD649080.

I've been recording to it and currently have filled approx 55GB on an "80GB" drive.

Last night 2 scheduled recordings would not record because there was "Not enough disk space". Both of these shows have season passes and are both first and second in terms of priority on the season pass list. I have deleted any messages and other extraneous stuff.

(Note that I'm talking about file size in terms of GB not "hours". I've been recording at "high" quality, which uses about 1.56GB per hour of recorded time. I know that the current disk usage is 55GB because this is one of the advantages of the Roxio Toast8 "TiVo Transfer" utility, I've been using. The TiVo HD shows up in a window and you can see the size of individual files and the total size of all recorded shows on the TiVo box.)

So what gives ? What is the actual space on an "80GB" drive available for recording TV programs ?

From the 80 GB, you lose some space to formatting (probably 6 GB), some for the TiVo OS (another 2 to 4) and some for the buffer and reserved areas (probably 2 to 10, depending on a few factors). So your TiVo is probably right in reporting that it's basically full.

That's why we're here with upgrades!
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X