Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive failure? Can't record or watch live tv.... Toshiba SD-h400

All,
    I have a Toshiba SD-H400 with Lifetime, love it. It has worked flawlessly (almost) since day 1.

A few days ago my wife complained that the Tivo Picture was frozen (Live tv), she continued watching TV on another input. I reset the Tivo by unplugging because I could not access Tivo at all. It worked fine after re-booting.

Today, I can see the menu fine, but no live tv in the background just a black screen or the occasional frozen image, Everything that was recorded to the TIVO prior plays back fine. But nothing new will record, TIVO acts like its recording, but it does nothing, the counter doesn't even seem to move or moves very slowly. For example I tried recording 15 minutes of a proogram, and on playback, no sound and only the occasional moving and still image(no sound), playback lasts just a few seconds.

I have tried switching the tivo to a different input on the tv and tried powering off the unit with no change. Would a weakknees hard drive upgrade resolve this or am i too late???? Or could it be something else?

You should try re-doing Guided Setup. If the problem persists, you likely have a motherboard issue. A drive isn't likely to fix it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Any ideas?

I just got back into town and tried re-doing guided setup, but no luck.

Everything else on this works fine, even the dvd player, is there anything I can do, either replace the motherboard or transfer my lifetime service to another unit?

Do I have any options??

Comment

What type of input are you using on the TiVo? Is it from a cable box or sat box or an antenna?

Comment

Input

It is from a motorola cable box, from the box i have been using rf to the tivo and then r/b/g plus audio cables to the tv. I also have outputs from the cable box using the r/b/g plus audio directly to the tv (I switch components when watching HD programing since tivo won't properly display HD) The r/b/g direct to the tv works fine, everything worked fine propr to a week ago.

During guided setup tivo recognizes that there is video coming from rf, but no image is displayed in the background. Also downloads from tivo updates display fine (such as one I received today for Oceans 13). When trying to watch "live tv" thru the tivo, sometimes I get the blue screen telling me there is no video and a troubleshooting guide.
          Last edited by jesrf; 06-01-2007, 02:07 PM.

Comment

OK - can you use yellow/red/white or S-video and L/R audio to the TiVo to see if that works?

Comment

Tried S Video....

But that did not work either, just a black screen, but as I said, everything that is currently saved to my tivo plays back just fine. I don't get it.

Comment

Something on the input side . . .

But when you tried that, did you re-do Guided Setup to tell the machine to look to those inputs for video now? The TiVo won't automatically hunt to the other inputs.

Comment

No, I did not redo guided setup, but I went into the settings feature and manually changed it to S Vid(tivo detected video on both S vid and the rf, which is correct).

Also, Tivo is still changing channels and attempting to record programs. For example, it just changed to "Take Home Chef" which I've watched several minutes of now(on the other output direct from the box), but when I go into "now playing" it shows "take home chef" currently recording with 3 mins recorded so far, but if I try to play, i cant rewind or see the picture, the tivo time bar at the bottom shows less than a minute recorded.....so i can neither rewind or fast forward.....

After typing all that I checked again and tivo shows "take home" in progress, 6 minutes so far, but when I tried to access it under "now playing " (as opposed to live tv) the red tivo background stays up with the tivo time bar at the bottom, but again, i can only rewing maybe two seconds or so and no pic or audio. When I hit live tv I get the black background screen and the bar at the bottom with almost no room to rewind, same as when i access it thru "now playing"

Update, I went into settings to make sure I had it on rf again not s vid, and it completely froze as I scrolled thru, for what thats worth....
                  Last edited by jesrf; 06-01-2007, 04:45 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Bump!

Any ideas on whether this is Motherboard or Hard Drive?

If it's the Motherboard can weaknees help or point me in a right direction or should I try calling Toshiba?

Comment

It pretty much must be a motherboard. You'd need to call Toshiba - we can't repair that.

Comment

Fair enough, thank you for trying.

Comment

Working...
                        X