Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and White Video

Background info:
    I have a TiVo Series 2, factory refurbished box (TCD540040) that I got for "free" with the purchase of a lifetime subscription. I performed an upgrade taking it from 40 GB to 120 GB shortly after buying it and it has given me several years of service with no problem.

The problem:
    Last winter we had an ice storm and the power went out. When the power was restored, the TiVo seemed fine for a while but then the color faded to black and white. The way the color faded away was very strange - certain objects on the screen would retain the red while everything else faded to grayscale - but not every red object stayed red, only a few "select" objects. Eventually everything faded to gray. I cycled the power on the box and the color returned - for a few hours, then faded. After another power cycle or two, the box was back to normal.

Everything was fine until last week. We had a thunderstorm-induced power blip. Now the same thing is happening, except this time cycling power on the TiVo box only restores color for a few minutes.

Any advice as to what might be causing this and what the fix is?

Note: I've verified the cable box and TV can feed/display a color signal.

The power cycling is most likely a drive, but the rest sounds like a bad motherboard. Considering it was a refurb unit, you should probably see if TiVo can swap it out.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X