Fixing Broken Tivo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Broken Tivo

I three series 2 Tivos (all 240080 models). I upgraded the three Tivos with a 2nd hard drive 2-3 years ago. Recently one of my Tivos had a hard drive crash. I unfortunately lost my backup images and am trying to recover using one of my good Tivo to create a new image and restore my failed Tivo.

Here are the steps I have taken:
    Downloand and burn weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso
    Mounted FAT32 partition
    mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt
    Created backup image
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hda /dev/hdb
    Successful backup reported.
    Halted system & place in single hard drive. This drive was verified to be good by running the manufacture's diagnotic tools and reporting no errors.
    Restore image
    mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hda
    Restore reported success
    Halted system & placed newly imaged drive back into Tivo

Tivo starts booting and states Powering Up
    Tivo then moves to Almost there. A couple more minutes.
    Then 4-6 minutes later it momentarily starts to go the Tivo main menu then goes back to Powering Up then Almost there. This continues until I unplug the Tivo.

Where did I do wrong? Can I not go from 2 drives back to 1 drive? I don't think the failed Tivo has any other hardware issue. I placed a pair of working drives into the failed Tivo and it booted properly. It did give me a warning that I could not play the recorded shows.

I've also tried the MFSLive-1.2.iso with the same results. I know that I used the older MFS tools 2-3 years ago. Do I need to backup and restore with the older MFS tools. I still have that CD.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jorge

You're doing everything right - but probably the drive that you're using is bad. It could be a bad image, but most likely you're just writing to a bad drive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Bad Drive???

So eventhough Western Digital's diagnostic tool said NO errors, I can place the drive into a USB enclosure and use it on my PC your expierence would indicate that there's something wrong with the drive?

I guess it's time to buy a new drive.

Quick question #1: On my working Tivos that I upgraded a couple years back, can I do an mfsadd to capture the extra drive space beyond the previous 137 Gb limit per drive and not loose my existing shows?

Quick question #2: I have created an image from a two drive system. Master drive is 120 GB and Slave drive is 160GB. I try to copy the image to an 80GB drive but mfsrestore there's not enough room. Is there any way to make the image smaller so that it will fit on an 80GB drive?

Thanks,
      Jorge

Comment

How old is the drive? We've seen plenty of used drives over the years that pass tests and allow themselves to be formatted with a TiVo OS and that still don't work. But you should test the backup you made to be sure.

#1 - Only on the second drive. The first is already full of usable partitions if it's been expanded.

#2 - The image will only go on a drive at least as large as the original, factory drive. But a 240040 or 140060 image would work, and on a smaller drive.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X