Hughes HDVR2 w/ bad Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes HDVR2 w/ bad Hard Drive

I have an original (never been cracked open) Hughes DirecTV Tivo unit (model HDVR2). I've had it for years now, and the hard drive just went out on me. I can hear the hard drive clicking, so I know it's the drive that's bad. I'm new to this whole "opening your Tivo box and messing around with the hard drive" stuff. However, I am a PC tech and have a ton of experience with recovering data from bad hard drives. So, my questions is, can I open the box, pull out the drive and slave it to a WinXP PC to see if I can recover any of the data on the drive? If so, can I burn the data onto DVDs so that I can still watch the shows that I had on there before the crash? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the LONG post.

Actually, just booting Win XP with the drive attached will render the TiVo OS on it useless. In general, when a drive goes bad to the point of clicking, you can't get enough data off of it to boot the TiVo again. We have TiVo drive replacement kits for your unit that should do the trick.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X