This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
    As TiVos get older, power supplies begin to have problems. We have replacement TiVo power supplies for many units, and if you don't see your model listed there, email us. We may have one or two hanging around.

How do you know if your power supply is failing? The easiest test is generally just looking for video out. If you get no video out at all - not even the gray "Welcome, Powering Up" screen, then you probably have a failed power supply. Sometimes, drives will still spin up, and fans will spin up, but you get no video out.

Certain model TiVos exhibit specific problems that can mean power supply failure, other than the loss of video:

Philips HDR series and Sony SVR 2000: These units have a problem where they stop outputting audio. Then, when you reboot, the audio works again for a time, and then it turns off again. This is characteristic of a failed power supply, and we've always seen a replacement fix it.

TiVo TCD140060 and AT&T TCD130040 Series2: These two models have a pretty big propensity for power supply failure, and we're constantly having a hard time keeping these in stock.

DirecTV HR10-250: We've seen a bunch of strange problems with these units get fixed with a new power supply, including HDMI issues (although usually those are the HDMI card), overheating problems (again, actually, usually HDMI problems, but sometimes a bad power supply) and the regular no-video issues.
    I have a Series 2 TCD 140060 which had the power supply go out. I ordered the replacement from weaknees.com and the first thing I noticed is that the power supply had been installed prior to my receiving it (the screw mounting holes had marks from the star washer on them). I have ordered Instant cake from weaknees as well.
    I installed the power supply and baked a new 80 GB drive and installed it. The machine powered up and then came the tivo screen, then the setup, then the dialing ...etc. when that was done the power supply shut off and rebooted. This happened repeatedly, but more quickly as the PS heated up.
    On this forum you state the cause is the Hard Drive. I tried cooking another on the 80 gig 5 times. Then installed the original drive 60G and it did the same. Finally, I got a brand new 160G drive and it does the same. I have replaced the ribbon cable as well.
    It appears that as the unit warms up it starts failing. This is what happens:
    powering up...., tivo just a minuite..., tivo , then setup, or if I have the original drive it goes on to the main program. After 5 or ten minutes the system goes blank and reboots, but hangs there because of the quick reset.
    When it hangs the Fan is running and the Hd is running but it is dead.
    Is it possibel that I got a bad power supply, or a used one?

Comment

• I have a Series 2 TCD 140060 which had the power supply go out. I ordered the replacement from weaknees.com and the first thing I noticed is that the power supply had been installed prior to my receiving it (the screw mounting holes had marks from the star washer on them). I have ordered Instant cake from weaknees as well.
      I installed the power supply and baked a new 80 GB drive and installed it. The machine powered up and then came the tivo screen, then the setup, then the dialing ...etc. when that was done the power supply shut off and rebooted. This happened repeatedly, but more quickly as the PS heated up.
      On this forum you state the cause is the Hard Drive. I tried cooking another on the 80 gig 5 times. Then installed the original drive 60G and it did the same. Finally, I got a brand new 160G drive and it does the same. I have replaced the ribbon cable as well.
      It appears that as the unit warms up it starts failing. This is what happens:
      powering up...., tivo just a minuite..., tivo , then setup, or if I have the original drive it goes on to the main program. After 5 or ten minutes the system goes blank and reboots, but hangs there because of the quick reset.
      When it hangs the Fan is running and the Hd is running but it is dead.
      Is it possibel that I got a bad power supply, or a used one?

Comment

• First, our power supplies are NOT new, except where specified. Most are refurbished - the ones for a TCD140060 definitely are. So the explains the marks from previous screws.

What you're describing does sound like a bad power supply. I think you spoke to someone here this morning and we're getting it back from you for further testing.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• I have a TiVo series 3 that lost its LED lights, picture, and sound a few days ago. When i touched the TiVo near the power supply it was unusually hot, so I ordered a new power supply and just finished replacing it. Sadly, still no LED lights, picture, or sound when powered on. The hard drive is making noise so it seems as if the power supply may not be the issue.

What would be the next step? Hoping to save this TiVo because of the lifetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_Snapper View Post
            I have a TiVo series 3 that lost its LED lights, picture, and sound a few days ago. When i touched the TiVo near the power supply it was unusually hot, so I ordered a new power supply and just finished replacing it. Sadly, still no LED lights, picture, or sound when powered on. The hard drive is making noise so it seems as if the power supply may not be the issue.

What would be the next step? Hoping to save this TiVo because of the lifetime.
            While those symptoms are consistent with a bad power supply, you seem to have another issue (as well), and unfortunately, that means you should probably be contacting TiVo directly for assistance. Click the banner at the top of this page to get to their website.

Comment

• I have a Samsung SIR-S4040R - read the 14 previous pages and didn't ever see a mention of Samsung - so I'll list my troubleshooting:

1. No video at all
              2. Fan works
              3. 5V and 12V to hard drive are OK
              4. No hard drive spin up with IDE cable attached
              5. Hard drive DOES spin up with IDE cable unplugged

I see that another post had similar results, and it could be motherboard or power supply? But I never saw anything final.

Comment

• Most likely, it's a power supply. We have them here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

But if you want a turnkey solution, try this:

http://www.weaknees.com/tff

Comment

• Power supply symptoms?

For the past several days my DSR7000/17-R has started "Powering Up" when I first start to do anything with it. It does it only once (so far) and then all seems fine till the next day. Could this be first signs of a failing power supply? In Oct. '09 I sent my TiVo to you to replace both tuners and in Jan. '08 I upgraded to a WeaKnees hard drive.

Okay, this evening it started cycling in the "Powering Up" mode. Finally I unplugged it for a minute or so, then plugged it back in and after powering up I had video again. How long this lasts is anyone's guess. It seems to do this when deleting a program or upon trying to watch a saved program while it is recording another.
                  Last edited by Waterloo; 11-07-2010, 05:29 AM. Reason: New events

Comment

• It's hard to say with any certainty without testing. It could be drive, power supply or motherboard related when a unit randomly reboots. You might try the kickstart 54 drive test, see:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

Comment

• Followed the Kickstart instructions and when the yellow light came on and I entered "54" a green light came on also (so now I've got a yellow and a green light) and the unit boots up to video and not the Kickstart 54 Hard Drive Test menu. I guess I'm doing something wrong somewhere. After a few tries I just gave up.

Next question: You mentioned it could be motherboard related--can the motherboard be repaired?
                      Last edited by Waterloo; 11-07-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Waterloo - what model TiVo is it?

Comment

• I have an HR10-250 that died recently after a power outage. I ordered your replacement power kit, installed it, and it's still dead. Nothing happens when I plug it in (with the new power supply), no fan, no lights, no nothing. Is there a secret switch or button I have to hit after replacing the power supply? Or is the thing just completely dead?

Comment

• Pretty strange - no lights at all? Are you sure the flat white ribbon cable is fully connected on each end?

Comment

• Yep, no lights at all. I've reseated the ribbon cable a couple of times, as far as I can tell it's fully connected. This is the same behavior as after the power outage (no lights, no fan, no nothing), which made me wonder if there's another switch or something i need to flip.

Comment

• Does the unit power on if you remove the drive cable from the hard drive? If so, that's a motherboard issue that we can typically repair.

Comment

Working...
                                X