Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess would be power supply or motherboard, but I haven't really seen that before. I'd recommend trying a new power supply if you have lifetime service. Otherwise, it may make sense to consider a new unit:

http://www.weaknees.com/dvd-tivo.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

hr10-250 problem

ok, my situation is different. i get the over heating warning right away even when the box is cold. the hdmi signal (if it comes on) is red or orange. so i guess i should try hooking it up through component with the hdmi unplugged. but what makes my situation different is what i have on my tivo. my wife used to be a news anchor before she retired to take care of our two babies. on my tivo i have like her last 4 months of anchoring. i always said i would back them up but never did. if it is my power supply or my hdmi card and i replace them, will i still have my info on my hard drive? i have heard that disconnecting the hard drive and putting it into another box deletes the files, is this correct? thanks for any and all help.

Comment

That does sound like a bad power supply. See the info here:

http://www.weaknees.com/hr10-repair-troubleshooting.php

Assuming it's just the power supply, your files should still be on the drive.

Comment

Questions, descriptions, problems

I have a series 2 Tivo with model no. TCD649080. On a recent trip to India my daughter plugged in 220V outlet instead of convert and it was blown up. I didn't see my model no. in the power kit on your web site, kindly let me know if motherboard could have blown up too. Let meknow what power supply kit to get. I would appreciate reply to this.

tigrs99

Comment

That's most likely limited to the power supply. You can probably pay TiVo to fix it. We don't have those power supplies.

Comment

Two Dead TiVos

Big storm came through last week, and I ended up with two dead Series 2 DT TiVos: one TCD649180 and one TCD649080. (It also killed my brand new Linksys router and my sprinkler system controller--but that is a different forum.) The "180" had absolutely no pulse. The "80" had a constant red light on the right front, and appeared otherwise dead. I suspect, but am not certain it was lightning since there was a pretty good storm, but the power never went out or flickered--but it could have been induced current in the cable or ethernet....
              (Before you ask--I did have incoming power through a Panamax surge suppressor. Panamax MIGHT help me with their connected equipment warranty, but only out of goodwill--I had not completely isolated the cat5 network line and the INCOMING and OUTGOING coax cable per their warranty requirements.)

Anyway, I ordered one new power supply from WK, and it arrived today. I tried it in both TiVos, and they are still dead. The power supply quietly clicks about 1/sec--just like the old ones. http://www.wkforums.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

After reading this forum, I checked various voltages. (Just got a new multi-meter, and I have been looking for a reason to open it up!)

When the ribbon cable is connected, all three Power supplies show only 3.0-4.6 volts on both the red and yellow cables. If the ribbon cable is disconnected, all 3 power supplies show about 10.7-11.5 volts on the yellow, and 4.5-5.0 volts on the red.

With the power supply ribbon cable connected, none of the 3 power supplies will make the hard drives budge in either TiVo. The result is the same with the power supply ribbon cable disconnected.

With the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the hard drive disconnected, the power supply will not spinup the harddrive either--but I don't know if this is normal or not.

Questions:

1. Will a good hard drive spin up when it is connected to a good power supply alone, or does it need a proper signal from the motherboard to do this?
              2. Any chance I received a defective new power supply ?
              3. Given that Panamax is adamant that the power surge did not come through the 110 outlet but through the unprotected Ethernet or coax in or out, would your diagnosis be different? Is the dead router a clue?
              4. Can a surge through the coax cable or Ethernet connection damage the power supply?
              5. Can a surge through the coax cable or Ethernet connection damage the hard drive? Or is it pretty much isolated to the motherboard?

4. What are my best options now?

I can still hope that the motherboard and power supplies protected my hard drives, right? http://www.wkforums.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yes, I will get an UPS and Ethernet/cable protection!

Comment

1 - That's different in different situations, but generally, assuming the hard drive is good, yes, it should.

2 - Definitely possible, but it would be a huge coincidence. But you can send it in for us to re-check. We do check them all before we ship them.

3 - It could have been too little voltage, and fluctuating voltage. Those also hurt units.

4 - Haven't seen that ever, but I guess it's possible somehow.

5 - Again, haven't seen it.

Do you get video out with no hard drive connected, but with the new power supply? You might get a gray "welcome" screen.

Comment

Tow dead tivos recovery plan

Just ordered two new Series 2 DTs. Tivo offered to transfer my 3 year service agreement to a new box for 69.99. Although I cannot get the $150 rebate with this one, it saves me the $111 penalty for early cancellation. I get the rebate with the other one.

I'd like to try to resurrect the old hdds in the new tivos as secondary drives--assuming they are OK (sacrificial motherboards). If I just drop them in the new tivos (with brackets and new fans from WK) will I be prompted to erase them or something? Or do I have to use my PC to prep them? The swaps are:

TCD649180 to TCD649080
                  TCD649080 to TCD649080

I think I have seen conflicting direction here on how that works. I dread trying to get the Tivo hdd into my PC without hurting myself or the PC.

I'd like to temporarily rig it up and see if the hdds are OK before I buy the brackets and fans though.

Comment

Two Dead tivos--stop the madness

OK. I need a protection system to prevent this nonsense again. Is there a single solution that has UPS, at least 3 coax, (1 into a splitter and 1 out of each Tivo) at least 1 RJ-45/ethernet and a bunch of outlets for power bricks?

The RJ-45 ethernet is the tough part--I know Panamax has add on modules though...

If I use a surge suppressor combined with a UPS, which plugs into which? I'm assuming I want the UPS plugged into the Surge suppressor, so the data protections on the surge suppressor are closest to ground...? then all the power comes through the UPS and I ignore the unused outlets on the surge suppressor--or save them for "dumb cheap things"--not the TiVo

Comment

We could caution you against using a surge protector together with a UPS--as separate items--unless they are both from the same manufacturer and the installation in that manner is permissible. See:

UPS Insurance Issues

Comment

I understand, but the Warranty (at least for Panamax) is not valid if ALL potential circuits into AND OUT OF the tivo are not protected. I network my series 2 (of course!), so Panamax says I have to either have EVERY item on the network plugged into the SAME suppressor/UPS, or I have to isolate the tivo from items (TV, PC) that are not on the same power supply (the issue is differential grounds). That means a surge suppressor or UPS with an RJ-45 isolator between anything outside the protected loop, and coax cable protections for cable into the the splitter, and for every cable OUT of the tivo. With two networked tivos, I'd need 3 coax cable protectors, and one RJ-45/ethernet for the ethernet connected to my PC.

I have been unable to locate a UPS with cable and RJ-45 protection included, so the only option would be daisy-chaining a UPS and a surge suppressor. Panamax allows this in their warranty, but their only UPS is $1200 for a huge home theater version (yet still without networking protection at that price--only power).

I have not checked with APS to see how they might recommend protecting the networked connections.

FYI--I talked to Panamax today, and they said that daisy chaining is allowed (with both Panamax stuff), AND THE UPS PLUGS INTO THE SURGE SUPPRESSOR. This provides a direct ground for the surge suppressor, and also allows continued operation if the surge suppressor intentionally disconnects power due to an undervoltage.

Comment

Frequent reboots - HD appears OK

I have 1.5 year old Series 2 TCD649180 that frequently reboots. No video problems and everything works fine between reboots. Pulled HD and ran Spinrite - no problems found on drive. Could this be a failing power supply or some other problem on the motherboard? Are there test points I can check to verify correct PS operation?

Thanks

Comment

It could be either, but it is more likely a bad motherboard.

Comment

So I have a older lifetime series 2. I am getting the Welcome! Powering up... screen for about 30 secs then it reboots. I will do this till I unplug it.

I have a brand new 250G Seagate I just used IC to set up and I am still getting this. What can I check?

I d/l the IC software of the net somewhere and it had my model listed, is there a way to confirm that I have the correct one. Or would it get past this point anyway?

Comment

Hello!

I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 Series 2 DirecTV Tivo that I upgraded a few years back with a Weaknees Twinbreeze drive mounting kit and an additional drive.

Today I disconnected the system in order to re-run my power and signal connections (cleaning up the rats nest behind my gear!) and when I plugged it back in, it wouldn't boot. No signal from the S-video that I normally use, and no light on the power on the front of the case.

I opened it up, and it was apparent that the drives were not spinning.

I disconnected the IDE cable and the drives would spin up.

Finally, I created a clean image on a new drive (500GB WD Green Power drive), used a SATA/IDE adapter, and connected it. It too would not boot. BUT the drive would power up even with the IDE connected.

Does it sound like a bad power supply, or a bad motherboard? What are my options at this point?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X