Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it happens repeatedly, am I risking damaging the new drive?

Comment

• Theoretically, yes, but it would have to happen probably once a day to begin to have an effect.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• Okay, well, bad news. I started the TiVo back up, and everything seemed fine. Two hours into it - guess what? Frozen screen. Unresponsive.

I restarted it, everything was fine again, then a half hour later, it rebooted itself and I caught it on the orange "Almost there..." screen. I walked away and came back about 5 minutes later to find a totally black screen and the left side lights flashing yellow and green. This is with the new drive. Any thoughts?
        Last edited by monicamoo; 12-10-2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• You are probably in the midst of a slowly failing power supply. Best bet is to try a new power supply and see if that solves the problems:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Comment

• Thank you. I will try that.

Comment

• Power up, then white screen...pics inside.

Came home to a white screen today. Unplugged Tivo Series 2 for several minutes. When I plug it back in, it goes from the welcome screen/powering up to totally white. I have a TCD540040 that is approximately 4+ years old. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed more pixelation than usual and occasional hangups. I joked with the wife that this thing was on its death bed, but I didn't really think it would end like this.

In the Resources/Repair section on the weaknees store, I found other screen color symptoms but no white. I hear NO ticking or other signs that would indicate HDD failure. I did open the box to take a look, but other than dust I don't know what I should see.

I want to repair it as I have a lifetime sub, but I want to make sure I am working in the right direction. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I took a picture of the power supply to post. Is the White foam looking stuff normal?
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/17233023@N00/3102712929/
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/17233023@N00/3102712751/

Comment

• Yes, that stuff on the power supply is normal.

I think you might have a bad motherboard, but we'd have to see the unit to know for sure. Whatever the problem, we can repair it, so send us an email and we can help out.

Comment

• Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  You are probably in the midst of a slowly failing power supply. Best bet is to try a new power supply and see if that solves the problems:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
                  I installed the new power supply. Now I have a new hard drive and a new power supply. I started the unit up and about 45 minutes into things, the picture froze. I guess the problem must be my motherboard or my chip.

At this point, I have spent nearly $200 to try to fix the problem. This is a 5-year-old TiVo with lifetime service. I sent you guys an email so I can find out how to get a repair and how much it will cost. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. Thanks.
                  Last edited by monicamoo; 12-12-2008, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Power supply problem?

Can you confirm whether this is a power supply problem?

The Tivo (HD Series 3) doesn't start up (no fan or drive spinning), the lights on the front panel are on, and the TV displays only snow.

Thanks.

Comment

• I can't totally confirm without having the unit here, but that definitely sounds exactly like a bad power supply to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by tamble View Post
                        Can you confirm whether this is a power supply problem?

The Tivo (HD Series 3) doesn't start up (no fan or drive spinning), the lights on the front panel are on, and the TV displays only snow.

Thanks.
                        I installed a new power supply and now the Tivo will power up. However, it will only progress from the Welcome screen to the "Almost there" screen and then reboots-- continuously.

Is this possibly a problem with the supply supply install (or replacement part)? Or could it be a hard drive problem?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• It is unlikely a power supply now, if you used a new replacement part.

You should try a kickstart 54 test to see if your drive is good/bad. See:

TiVo Kickstart Codes

Comment

• Unsuccessful kickstart 54 test

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                            It is unlikely a power supply now, if you used a new replacement part.

You should try a kickstart 54 test to see if your drive is good/bad. See:

TiVo Kickstart Codes
                            Thanks for the info. I tried the kickstart but it was unsuccessful. I was able to access the menu and start the SMART test. But less than a minute into testing, the Tivo rebooted. I tried the test again with the same result.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Then you pretty likely do have a bad hard drive, sorry to say. It sounds like whatever took out your power supply took out your hard drive at the same time.

Comment

• Phillips DSR6000R1 power supply

Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with my Phillips DSR6000R01.

I get no lights on the front of the unit, the hard drive does not spin, the fan jumps like it is trying to spin, over and over, just barely moving, and I hear a clicking sound from the power supply.

Here is what I have tried to troubleshoot.

1. I unplugged the ribbon cable to motherboard. Still clicks and hard drive does not spin.

2. I unplugged the hard drive AND ribbon cable to motherboard. It still clicks. Should it click when there is no load whatsoever on the power supply?

3. I plugged the ribbon cable to the motherboard back in, and unplugged the hard drive power. Still clicks and no lights on front of unit. I also unplugged the data cable to the hard drive.

Comment

Working...
                                X