Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HR10-250 remote control signal received but not processed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250 remote control signal received but not processed?

I did a brief search of this forum but did not see any HR10-250 threads that described this problem.

I've had a recurring problem with my HR10-250 (w/upgraded disk purchased through this site) I've noticed recently when using a cheap, indoor/unidirectional "rabbit ear" hi-def antenna. I have two satellite inputs and this OTA input hooked up.

On multiple occasions, I have been watching a local OTA channel (HD) and attempted to do something via remote (bring up the on-screen guide, change channels, flip to the other tuner, etc.)

I can see the "REC" light on the front of the unit go from green to amber when I press a remote button so it appears the unit received the infrared signal(?). But the unit does not respond. Then I will go over and try the control buttons on the front panel of the unit. Still nothing.

Resetting/unplugging the unit will generally clear the problem. I'm just sick of having to do this every time this happens given how long the unit takes to reboot and reacquire the satellite signal.

I have only noticed this problem when I am tuned to an off-air channel, and it only seems to occur if I've been tuned in for a while (e.g., 10 or more minutes) before attempting to issue a remote control command again.

Are there any known software issues which might explain this behavior? The System Information screen says I'm running 6.3d-01-2-357 software version.

Can't say I've seen this problem before, but one thing you might consider trying is a new faceplate, which are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivofp.php

Comment

This has the profile of a software/OS problem to me, rather than a faceplate issue. I don't have any real technical knowledge of the TiVo OS (except I know it's Linux-based), but my day job involves a lot of computer debugging and it feels that way to me.

More symptoms/behavior:

Since I last posted, I upgraded my off-air antenna to a multidirectional Winegard SS-3000 indoor antenna. I'm picking up more locals now and a better consistency of the signals.

The problem is still occurring but as I've paid a lot closer attention to when and how it happens, it seems specific to one of my local OTA high def channels (2.1), and that channel only.

When I tune to this channel, the first symptom will generally be a slower response to the remote after a few minutes, followed by no response to the remote or front panel buttons (though again, the REC light turns amber on the front panel so I believe the infrared signal is being received OK), and this is sometimes/often followed by a spontaneous reboot (get the "Welcome...powering up" message) -- if I don't unplug the unit first.

I believe this same channel has probably been the common denominator all along. Since focusing on it as the trigger, I can reproduce the problem pretty consistently. Not true when watching my other OTA channels -- have yet to notice the problem when tuned to any other over-air channel.

I don't notice any signal break-up watching the channel prior to that, the picture seems fine. But once the slowed response symptoms start, there may be some freezing/skips of the picture prior to the unit rebooting.

I'm at a loss as to why this particular channel might be causing problems for the HR10. Any ideas or debugging tactics that might explain why a specific channel/frequency is mucking things up? If this were an OS I knew how to debug, I'd be looking for things like system dump/stack trace info, or processes that seemed to be hogging more CPU than they should, etc.
      Last edited by nashton; 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X