Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connections

I have 3 of the Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTV Tivo dual tuner units upgraded with WK drives and they work perfectly. I have been considering the purchase of a HD TV, but I don't want to give up the Tivo or switch to cable. After reading the forums I think the solution is below. Can someone verify this for me please if possible?

I believe I can upgrade to HD and have an installer install a new cable for the HD receiver [DVR or not]. I can then connect the new reciever to the new HDTV using the HDMI input. I can connect the existing dual tuner SD-DVR40 to the HD TV using component inputs.

This would allow me to watch some programs in HD or even record them if i get the HD DVR. I could also still record SD programs on the dual tuner unit I currently use and not give up the Tivo. I would just have the 2 recievers on different inputs of the TV. If that works I guess it would give the ability to watch or record in HD while recording 2 SD programs or other combinations of the same 3 signals.

The other 2 SD-DVR40s would not change since they are still connected to non-HD TVs.

One other question: any word on the AT&T U-Verse IPTV working with Tivo?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sorry to say, no, that won't quite work. The Hughes SD-DVR40 can't do component at all (but it can do composite). If composite works, you'll be OK.

So far, we don't see Uverse working with TiVo.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael...so I should be able to use the composite audio and s-video on the SD-DVR40 then correct? That would allow me to keep the Tivo functional for standard def and still take advantage of the HD TV as well. Would you recommend the HD DVR or just the plain HD box?

Comment

Yes, the SDDVR has Svideo and composite outputs.

We'd recommend the HD DVR over the plain HD box.

Comment

Since I already have 2 inputs to the SD-DVR40, do you see any reason to run 2 inputs to the HD DVR or would I be okay with one?

I appreciate the recommendations and feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmie96 View Post
            Since I already have 2 inputs to the SD-DVR40, do you see any reason to run 2 inputs to the HD DVR or would I be okay with one?

I appreciate the recommendations and feedback.
            Are you talking about satellite inputs? If so, two inputs allow you to record two shows at the same time. You can decide which unit you'd prefer to have that capability.

Comment

Yes I am talking about satellite inputs. I have 2 inputs on the current SD-DVR40 so I think I will have them add one more for the HD unit. As you say, I can decide later which box gets the 2 inputs and which gets 1.

Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Right, but if you're running one more cable, why not just run two so that you'll be safe in any configuration?
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X