Guided setup over Charter phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guided setup over Charter phone

I had to switch from Comcast to Charter cable and have been trying to do setup over a telephone line. The phone however is provided by Charter and works over a modem connected to the same cable that supplies my cable tv and internet. However the guided setup always fails. Listening on a second phone, the dialup seems to dial and I hear some modem-type noises on the line, but the unit is unable to connect. Here is my question: does anybody know for sure whether guided setup will or won't work over a telephone service which is supplied by the cable company using a modem?

Here is some more information: the unit was able to dial in and get new programming info over the cable phone. The information was wrong, because it was still assuming I was on the old provider, but it did seem to complete. The guided setup fails, however.

I called Charter and they didn't understand anything, all they kept saying is that I need a cable card, but they don't seem to understand that I have a series 2 with no slots for cable cards. My unit seems to be able to change the channels on the cable box they provided, it is able to pause, rewind and play live tv, and I don't see any reason why it would not work with Charter if I could just get it through the guided setup.

Basically, many TiVos (and other computers with modems) can't use digital phone systems. But there may be ways around this (one is with our TiVo modem kit).

What model TiVo is it?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It's a series 2 dual tuner -

Since posting that I have read elsewhere that it won't work over VOIP, which I suspected was the problem. The cable company didn't understand what I was asking though, they kept telling me I needed a cable card, but those don't even fit in a series 2.

I am going to try the ,#401 trick you mentioned before and try to do guided setup over my broadband connection -

But every place I have read about the #401 trick it mentions a usb/ethernet adapter - since my series 2 has an ethernet port, should I use that instead of the adapter?

Comment

Your unit doesn't even need the ,#401 for Guided Setup probably. Just plug in an ethernet cable connected to a router, and reboot. It'll probably just figure out the broadband connection and work.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X