Network connection to Tivo Series 2 no connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network connection to Tivo Series 2 no connection

I have a Tivo Series 2 DVR. I have attempted to connect it to my MediaCom network connection. I am using a RCA Digital Broadband Cable modem to a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router model BEFSR41, to a Linksys USB200 ver 2.1 (LCS217500678) adapter then to the USB port on the DVR. When trying to connect using the Network connection on the Tivo setup screen, I am told that the network adapter is incorrect. I have since used the Linksys 200M ver. 2 adapter that Tivo sent me with the same result. I have a laptop right next to the Tivo and I am able to connect to the internet without fail using both connection adapters. When connected to the Tivo I get not connectivity lights on the adapter. Help:

You got the adapter from TiVo directly? TiVo recommends their own TiVo USB to wireless adapter.

Comment

Yes, The tech support at TiVo sent me the adapter.

Comment

The reason they sent this adapter is because I am not using a wireless network. The router is less than a foot from the Tivo.

Comment

If you aren't on a wireless network, how are you trying to use a wireless adapter?

On the page linked, specifically which adapter do you have?
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Here let me explain this again. I am not running a wireless connection. I have a "WIRED" connection. I purchased the first USB adapter from Best Buy USB200 ver 2.1 (LCS217500678) . That adapter did not work. In contacting Tivo Tech Support, they said that I needed a different adapter, even though the one I had was recommended on the Tivo website. They sent me another "WIRED" adapter, Linksys 200M ver. 2. This adapter did not work either. It is "NOT" required to use a wireless network adapter, they have recommend the above adapters for my application.

Comment

When you use the laptop, are you using the same Ethernet cable and the same port on the router?

What model TiVo, by the way?

Comment

Yes. I have tried it with the same cable,same port. Different cable,same port.Different cable, different port, etc.

Comment

Just the regular series 2.

Comment

If you connect the laptop - in the same location - with that adapter, does it go online?

TiVo sent you this adapter directly?

Comment

Again,Yes! They sent me this adapter and again yes I can go online. I fact I sent you this email from my laptop.

Comment

I'm really at a loss to understand what this could be, then. Have you tried getting back in touch with them?

Comment

Could there be a problem with the USB port, and if so how do I check it? I have tried everything else as far as network connections go. Does my internet provider have to do anything to allow the connection? Is there any special update I need on the Tivo DVR to recognize the connection? This Tivo has never been connected to anything. It was a display model that was never used.

Comment

The TiVo could definitely have a bad port. Do you get a light on the adapter when you plug it in?

Pretty much any current OS can do networking, but you should have 9.x.

Comment

I do get two of the green lites on the adapter, but I never get the third green lite. I think that's the connectivity green lite. I know when I plug the laptop into the same network cable and adapter I get all three green lites. If the USB port is faulty, is there a fix?

Comment

Working...
                              X