TIVO connects but fails due to config error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO connects but fails due to config error

I just upgraded our series 2 machine due to apparent/empending hard drive failure. The TIVO performs a sucessful connection to the toll free number, however, when it tries to connect to the local number for programing information it indicates a configuration error.

I have listened to the modem handshake, they connect (get the PSK hissing sound), it appears that no data is transfered between the local number and the tivo. A time out occurs, the connection is dropped, and the TIVO declares a configuration error. This happens on all four local numbers.

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

Gayle
    Last edited by Gayles57; 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM.

Sorry guys I really didn't mean to make multiple posts. I really messed this up.

Gayle

Comment

No problem - took those off.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Try using a different number. You can find a list here:

http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do

Build it in to your unit as a "dialing prefix" followed by a comma.

Comment

Michael:

Thanks for the reply and cleaning up the mess. My desktop is kaput and I'm limping along on my wife's laptop. I have no idea how I did that.

There are four local numbers, I have tried tham all. I have tried two long distance numbers in my area code and one in an adjacent area code. Still no success. Is there a central server? Can it be down?

My wife is at work, I'm going to put the old drive back in so she get some of her programs, it studders from time to time but still mostly works. I will re-install the new drive tomorrow.

Need more suggestions, thanks in advance.

Gayle

Comment

You should check to see what the settings are on the other drive and mimic the on the new one. A drive alone will not cause this problem...it sounds like dialing settings, most likely.

Comment

Jeff:

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the settings on the other drive (settings menu) and they are identical. The new drive still doesn't get the programming information to complete the setup.

The Tivo interfaces with the toll free number, sets the clock, authorizes, and performs any other tasks and disconnects. This tells me the modem is working. When the Tivo trys to get programming infomation it declares a configuration error. I'm still stuck at this point. When the call is placed, I can hear the distant end(server) answer and the modems handshake, however at that point activity appears to cease and after what appears to be a time out the connection is dropped and the Tivo declares a "configuration error". Is there a way that I can force the software on the old drive to call the programming information number to see if that call is successful?

Still need help, wife is nearing critical mass.

Thanks in advance

Gayle

Comment

Sure - just choose the "connect to TiVo now" option as opposed to the test option.

Comment

Working...
                X