Got new WK Hard Drive and Tivo will not Connect to Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got new WK Hard Drive and Tivo will not Connect to Network

I just bought a WK 160gb drive for my Series 2 (540040) Tivo. After hooking up the new drive everything works great other than networking. The previous drive would connect to my network without any issue. This one keeps saying the DHCP server could not be found. DHCP in enabled on my router, password is correct, dynamic IP address, adaptor works and says good to excellent on signal.

What exact model adapter are you using? What is your current OS version?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Tivo OS and Adaptor

Forgive me as I am new. The adaptor is a NetGear WG111 and the OS is whatever Tivo installed system came on the hard drive you just sent me last week. Order number 480818. I think it did the Fall 2007 update via the phone line connection. My initial thought is a faulty adaptor, but it reads the network and gives a mac address.

Comment

Have you tried to reboot the TiVo?

Comment

Reboot

I did reboot a few times. Both a restart from the TIVO Central Settings and also an unplug. I have also tried restarting everything including aTIVO, Modem, and Wireless Router (Microsoft MN 700).

Comment

Have you tried using the phone to force a software update?

Comment

Software

I did do a phone line update. This successfully loaded the "Fall 2007" software update as Tivo informed me. Not sure if this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by sleddog999 View Post
                I just bought a WK 160gb drive for my Series 2 (540040) Tivo. After hooking up the new drive everything works great other than networking. The previous drive would connect to my network without any issue. This one keeps saying the DHCP server could not be found. DHCP in enabled on my router, password is correct, dynamic IP address, adaptor works and says good to excellent on signal.
                I have a very similar problem. After installing a new WK 300GB drive a few days ago, everything works except that I cannot access my network. It worked fine with my old (original Tivo) HDD.

The Tivo sees my network (as well as a few others), and reads the MAC address of my adapter correctly, but no matter which (unsecured) network I try to connect to I get a message that it could not connect (error n06). My access point is working fine, since I can connect to it from two other wireless devices.

I've tried rebooting the Tivo several times, but always get the same result.

Model: 540040

Software Version: 9.3-01-2-540

USB Adapter: DLink DWL-120

Phone/Network screen shows the following for the network:

Type: Wireless adapter
                Name: none
                Signal: none
                IP Addr: none
                MAC ID: (correct)

HELP . . . . . . .

Comment

Pretty strange. Have you rebooted the router?

Comment

I doubt that the problem is there, since all my other wireless connections are working fne. And, the Tivo won't connect to three different networks that it 'sees' (mine and two neighbors). But, I did try rebooting it anyways -- no help . . .

Today I will try to connect my notebook with the adapter I use for the Tivo to make sure it is working, and will also try a direct wired connection from my router to the Tivo. Will update you on the results afterwards.

Comment

OK - tell us what you find.

Comment

Michael,

Update:

1. I tried using the USB network adapter with my notebook with the adapter located exactly where it is when it is connected to the Tivo. No problem connecting. The only difference from using the notebook's internal wireless adapter was that the signal seemed a little weaker.

2. I could not do the 'hardwire' connection experiment. I did not realize that my Tivo doesn't have an RJ45 connector and I don't have an RJ45 to USB adaptor.

3. I bypassed my router and connected the wireless access point directly to my cable modem. Still could not connect. This would seem to eliminate the router as the problem.

Based on all my tests, I have concluded, perhaps incorrectly . . . , that my network is OK. That would seem to leave only two possibilities:

A. Hardware problem in the Tivo, but I think this is unlikely since the adapter is recognized and all the networks in the area are listed on the screen where you select the network to connect to.

B. Software problem.

B1. Is it possible that the software on my new HDD is corrupted in some way that would cause this? Note that several people who have installed a new WK HDD have reported the same or similar problem, including the person who started this thread. Unfortunately, how he fixed the problem was not documented.

B2. I thought that I read somewhere thet a 'mirror' of the software is also stored on the HDD and can be used by keying-in a special key sequence during boot. Is this true? If so, how is it done.

B3. Is there a way to force a re-download of the latest software from Tivo?

Thanks!!

Alex

Comment

I really haven't seen this be caused by a software issue, and considering the number of kits we sell, I don't think this problem is endemic.

Can you post your full TiVo OS version?

Also, see this link about sub-versions of adapters and TiVo issues:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/..._Adapters.html

The problem may be due to the encryption method you're using.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                            Can you post your full TiVo OS version?
                            I listed it in my origtinal post: Software Version: 9.3-01-2-540. I don't know if this is a fresh update from Tivo or if it was the version on the HDD when I first got it, but in either case it has not connected to the wireless network successfully.

I'm going to try to borrow a different adapter from a friend and see if that makes a difference, but my adapter (DLink DWL-120A) did work before I replaced the HDD and is on Tivo's list of compatible adapters.

Also, see this link about sub-versions of adapters and TiVo issues:

The problem may be due to the encryption method you're using.
                            Hmmm... Seems we couldn't find what you were looking for.

The page may have been removed, changed its name, or is temporarily unavailable.
                            Last edited by alex95070; 06-06-2008, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I think I found the Tivo page you wanted me to look at:

The DWL-120A is listed there.

Comment

Working...
                              X