Wired vs Wireless Connections Series2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired vs Wireless Connections Series2

I am considering buying a series2. I am trying to decide what networking components I will need.

I have DISH (3 receivers) and a Linksys Wireless B (10/100BT) router connected to a DSL modem. The home network has 2 Thinkpads and an HP laptop connecting wirelessly, along with a wireless print server and a wired Thinkpad both on 24/7.

One of my DISH receivers is a PVR and I am thinking to add TIVO onto one of the other receivers, so I will have PVR capability in one more room, and capability to save shows to my HP so I can view while traveling or while working in my office.

1. It looks like the new series2 has an ethernet port, and USB port. How will using a 10/100BT cable when wired to the router with an ethernet cable perform vs a wireless B connection when saving or viewing shows from the TIVO? I will have to drill a hole from my home office into my bedroom (closet to closet) to run a cable, but willing to do so if performance on a B wireless network is not so good.

2. Can the series2 handle WEP?

3. Can I cable directly into the series2 with a standard RJ45 ethernet connector on both ends?

4. Can I network directly (e.g., peer-to-peer) from a laptop with a crossover cable or a hub, into the series2 to move content? I have lots of old network hardware laying around.

Thanks for your help!
    Mike
    (soon to be Tivo-ed)

1 - The cable is much, much faster than wireless B.

2 - Yes.

3 - Yes, on the dual tuner unit.

4 - Yes, for transferring only, but we don't really recommend it since there are lots of network configuration traps that way.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X