No announcement yet.

Where to start with a factory HR10-250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start with a factory HR10-250?

I have a DirecTiVo HR10-250 in good standing with DirecTV and currently in factory condition. I've used mfstools to add disks to previous tivo units with no issues.

I'm wondering what I need to do to add the home networking features (Tivo Desktop, unbox, etc) of the latest TiVo OS. I'd like to also maintain my recordings if at all possible.

Can I copy the existing filesystem off and manually enable the features, then bless a new pair of disks and write the media back to them or am I missing something? I'm a primarily linux user, so feel free to dive deep on your answers.

Thanks.
    Dan

There are hacks to add those features, but for many reasons (the largest being instability and problems with upgrades) we don't recommend them.

Adding capacity to that unit is fine, and if you want those features, we'd really recommend getting a standalone HD TiVo for cable.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Google Tivo Zipper.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
        There are hacks to add those features, but for many reasons (the largest being instability and problems with upgrades) we don't recommend them.

Adding capacity to that unit is fine, and if you want those features, we'd really recommend getting a standalone HD TiVo for cable.
        Believe me, I would if it didn't mean getting inferior service, pricing and video quality from comcast.

Comment

Actually, usually the quality is better these days with cable. They have a wider pipe, and it's just as digital in HD as DirecTV. Pricing and service, I can't really say.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X