Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips Series 1--from modem to internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips Series 1--from modem to internet?

I have a Philips Series 1 unit with a lifetime subscription. We recently moved to a new state. I set the unit up using the phone modem connection, everything worked fine. However, in our new house, the doorbell/intercom is connected to the phone line, and apparently when Tivo uses the modem, it screws up the doorbell and it doesn't work. We narrowed the problem down and it's definitely the recorder--when it's not plugged into the phone line, the doorbell is fine.

So, it looks like I can't use the phone line with Tivo. Is there a way to convert the Philips unit to use an internet connection instead, or is that just impossible/not worth doing? Otherwise I may just not use it until Tivo runs another "transfer your lifetime subscription" deal, at which time I guess I could buy a new unit.

Thanks for any help.

There's no way to avoid a phone line on that unit, but our TiVo external modem kit will fix that problem of holding the phone line open.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the response, Michael. Is this a known issue? How does the external modem differ from the internal one such that it will fix the issue?

Comment

The modems in the early Series 1 units were notoriously unreliable and I think that the external modem is a good bet. If it doesn't work, then the issue may be with your doorbell.

Comment

Well, assuming I can return it if it doesn't solve the problem, it's probably worth a try. I'd only be out $15 plus shipping back to you, I guess. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X