DirecTivo Series 2 and Series 1 GXCEBOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirecTivo Series 2 and Series 1 GXCEBOT

I have a series 2 DVR 40 with WK upgrade kit (Both Drives 140 Hrs.) and I'm trying to find out if there is any way to connect this unit to my network? I would prefer wireless, but wired (ethernet) is also OK.

Is there any way to save my recordings on the DTivo to my laptop?

Next, Can I connect an External HD ( I have 1 TB ) to my DirecTivo DVR 40, and if so, what method is best ( USB or Network )? Do I need other hardware to use this Ext. HD, is so, please list so I can order from WK?

I also have a Series 1 Hughes GXCEBOT, and installed upgrade kit I just got from WK (also 2 drive upgrade) and want to know if this unit can also work with my network to save recordings to PC or connect to the External Drive? If I can, what other hardware should I order from WK for this GXCEBOT?

Thanks for the GREAT Upgrade kits, WK is THE BEST!!

Computerdog
    Last edited by Computerdog; 11-01-2008, 12:34 AM. Reason: Needed to add thread subscription

You won't get any answers on this site. (No offense to WK.) Try the forums on dealdatabase <dot> com and the Underground section at tivocommunity forums. Also, try googling tivo zipper.

There is no way to connect an external HDD to your DVR40.

Do some searching and reading. Be patient and have some fun. Good luck.

Comment

SteelersFan is right. While there are hacks out there to do what you want, we really don't recommend or support them. The reason for that is that they have way too high a failure rate - they're really for people who know Linux pretty well, and who want a box to tinker with. Our customers are more the type who want a stable box that just always works.

Further, most of the options that these hacks (when working) provide are available in the new cable TiVos without hacking - and much more is available for these units. So the best answer is just to ditch DirecTV, and you can do lots and lots of things with the units including online scheduling, Amazon Unbox, and soon, Netflix.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you

Thank both of you for the quick reply. Unfortunately I am stuck with DTV since I have too much already invested in equipment ( Tivo's ). I'm very happy with them, especially after buying the upgrade kits from WK, that gives me nearly all the storage I need. I just thought it might be nice to be able to save some of my favorites on a DVD.

I will take your advice and look into the other site you mentioned and see if maybe I can hack just one of my two units. I'm fortunate to have a wife that is a computer engineer and fluent/expert in Linux and many other OS's. If I can get her to make me understand the odd commands (compared to Dos) then it should be fairly easy to figure out how to go from there.

This is a wonderful site and forum and I've already pointed several friends and family to here. I feel that I'll be doing quite a bit of upgrading (Installing WK kits) for them, since they seem to think TIVO's work by magic...LOL.

Thanks Again,

CD

Comment

Working...
        X