HD/XL not "seeing" the other one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD/XL not "seeing" the other one

I have two HD/XL TIVOs both connected to my broadband switch by cables. They have no problem getting to the TIVO service site so I know network connectivity is OK.

However, neither "Now Playing" list shows the other TIVO name in the list, so I can't transfer recordings. I checked the TIVO preferences site, and the two TIVO names are correct, and the "allow transfer" open is checked.

There are local saved recordings on both systems.

What is wrong, and how can I correct it?

They do show groups called "DVR" and "_tivo-videos DVR" both of which are empty. What are these?

UPDATE: After forcing a connection on both units to TIVO, they now see each other and can transfer files. However, even though the unit names show correctly under SYSTEM, those unit names still do not show under NOW PLAYING LIST. Rather the names DVR and _tivo-videos DVR show instead. What's with this?

Comment

For both problems (even though you fixed the first): Try unchecking both units for "allow transfers" on TiVo's site. Then be sure to save the changes there.

Then force each unit to connect to TiVo.

Then turn "allow transfers" back on, save again, and force connections again.

That usually resolves these types of issues.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The first half worked fine: "allow transfers" off/saved. Connected both TIVOs. Transfer capability gone from both.

Then "allow transfers" back on/saved. Connected both TIVOs, but transfer capability has NOT returned. Connected again -- no joy.

Update: Connected again. The transfer ability has returned, but the TIVO called FAMILY still shows "DVR" instead of the name STARLIGHT, and the TIVO called STARLIGHT still shows "DVR" and "_tivo-video DVR" instead of FAMILY, so this evolution did not solve the problem.
        Last edited by llbayer; 11-17-2008, 07:35 AM. Reason: new information

Comment

How about trying reboots?

Comment

Will I lose anything by doing that?

Comment

Nope - but you might get a break in a recording if the unit is recording when you reboot it.

Comment

I RESTARTed one machine, and forced a connect to TIVO. No joy again.

Point of interest: when I look at the SYSTEM INFORMATION for both machines, they *do* have the correct names.

Comment

I'm sorry to say, I'm pretty much out of suggestions at this point. My best guess would be that something is up at TiVo's server end, and that it might just resolve by itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X