external modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external modem

I cannot connect; the error message is "Failure to connect". However, I am not sure the modem is dialing.

I have tried setting the prefix to ,#396,,XXXXXXXXXX and ,#319,,XXXXXXXXXXX and I have tried different XXXXXXXXX with and without the 1 prefix.

call waiting (none)
    pulse tone (tone)
    availability detection (off) I've also tried (0n)
    dial tone (off) I've also tried (0n)

I note that the lights on the modem never flicker. I have listened with a portable phone while the TIVO says it is dialing and I hear no classic modem sounds.

I checked the outlet and it allows me to dial.

I rebooted the TIVO and modem several times.

I called the XXXXXXXX number and I get modem sounds.

It seems that the TIVO is not telling the modem to dial. Anything I can do?

Try turning off phone avail detection and dial tone detection and listening in on another phone to see if the modem is dialing. Also, try rebooting the TiVo and power cycling the modem.

Comment

External Modem

I tried bebooting both the TIVO and modem several times.

I listened on a mobile phone and did not hear the dialing. phone avail detection and dial tone detection were off.

Comment

I'm lost. You listened on a mobile/cell phone?

Comment

external modem

Yes, I listened on a portable phone and did not ever hear the modem dialing.

Comment

How is this all wired? What port on the back of the modem are you using? What port on the back of the TiVo?
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

external modem

The phone is plugged into the slot nearest the green hole (furthest from the edge); the black plug is in the "serial" connection on the back of the TIVO.

The phone jack in the wall was tested with another phone and it works (and has been working for years). The modem power is on and a single red light on the far right of the modem is illuminated. All connections are tight.

I got the serial-connection with the modem as I did not have one with the original TIVO.

Comment

We've had a few reports of this over the weekend, so there might be a problem with TiVo's servers. Maybe wait and try it again in a few days.

Comment

external modem

tried again and again. Doesn't dial. No connection.

Comment

We can get it back here for testing, if you'd like.

Comment

external modem

When you say test "it" do you mean the modem or the TIVO. I can't decide which is giving me the problem.

Don

Comment

The modem. If it's fine, then the problem is likely the TiVo hard drive.

Comment

external modem

By "it" do you mean the modem or the TIVO? I can't figure out which is causing the problem. How/where do I send it; please reference the "rules".

Comment

We can get the modem (which is what you bought) back here to test. If it works here, then the problem is with your TiVo. If you want to send the TiVo here for testing, then please email us directly using the contact page.

Comment

external modem

thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X