N13 error in guided setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N13 error in guided setup

When setting up my new HD, everything went fine until it was time to connect to TiVo. After resolving initial problems through my network administrator, it appears that I was able to access the wireless router, but unable to connect to TiVo.

The network admin entered the MAC ID for my wireless adapter (TiVo wireless g). The error appeared when my DVR needed to enter the IP address (or have one assigned) and connect to TiVo. At the 'connecting' step of the process, an N13 error was reported. I called my network admin and he told me that no one has been able to get their TiVo to connect via the wireless network, and he cannot find any reason for this to happen. He has tried numerous times to get them connected, including assigning a static IP, but nothing has worked, and other wireless devices, such as gaming consoles, have connected to the wireless network without any problem at all.

I do not have any connection alternatives to wireless broadband, because I do not have a land line and my wireless access is through a central router in my apartment building. There is nothing for me to plug a phone or ethernet cord into. I don't suspect any signal strength problems, since my computer consistently receives a signal in the very good to excellent range, and the network equipment has been recently upgraded. The network took and accepted my password, so the TiVo is connecting to some degree, just unable to connect to TiVo central.

According to the network admin, the router is a Valuepoint NC 3550 with 65MB throughput, and he said he would contact the manufacturer after the holiday weekend to see what they know about this problem. In the admin's experience, this problem only arises with TiVo DVRs. Is this a known issue with the HD? Any other ideas?

One option would be to get a wireless bridge and use that - TiVo make the N version here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-networking-parts.php

You can basically set it up on a PC and lock in the settings, then move it over to a TiVo and it should be identical.

Otherwise, it's possible that the encryption method in the router is out of date, or that it just has old firmware and could use an update.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X